Chapter 19; Promise Me

Blue eyes opened to see tan walls. Not white ones they were used to seeing every morning. Caroline sighed and pulled the sheets closer to her as she sat up.

James watched her as he smoked a cigarette. She sat against the headboard like he was. Neither one speaking for a while.

"I need to leave." Caroline said breaking the silence "This was so wrong."

James sighed putting his cigarette out "You're joking right?" he asked getting dressed

"No I'm not. God I'm so stupid." she shook her head slipping her clothes back on.

The room was silent again "After everything said and done last night you're leaving?"

"Yes and this time for good." she said slipping her shoes on "Last night was a mistake."

James looked annoyed then asked "Why was it a mistake?"

"It just was." she answered

"Did you expect an engagement again?" he asked her then laughed "That's ridiculous."

Her arms crossed over her chest and she narrowed her eyes "I'm not so different from all those other girls am I?" she asked "

James's laughter settled down "Caroline." he said

"No don't Caroline me. Tell me if I was just another silly girl to fill your pathetic void." she said not angry just wanting an answer

James felt his heart hammering in his chest. He knew it would happen eventually but not like this. He imagined they'd be married with kids and he'd tell her the story then they'd laugh. That however wasn't the case. Caroline was standing in front of him at that moment with no ring on her finger.

"You were. It started out like that but." he sighed "I really do love you."

Blonde hair fell in her face as she looked up with tears trailing down her face "You're a liar. You don't love me." she said

That hurt James, she called him a liar. But he knew she had a right to, he lied about caring for her in the beginning. He didn't really give a shit about her. But now things were different, he was in love with her.

"Caroline listen to me." James said

"Why the hell should I listen to you?" she argued heading for the door

James chased after her, he grabbed her arm spinning her around "Because you need to hear me out." he said

She rolled her eyes and tried to get her arms out of his grip "James let me go." she said "Let go of me."

He shook his head and pushed her against the wall, her hands above her head "Listen to me. You started out like one of the other girls but after a month of knowing you I fell for you." he explained "I promise Caroline I do love you." then he kissed her

Caroline pushed him away from her "Go to hell. I'm done with you and this."

"You're not leaving Caroline." he shouted grabbing her by her waist and taking her to the bedroom as she screamed.

"James let me go. I don't want to be here." she yelled with tears falling from her eyes

Caroline was laid on the bed, James hovering over her with her arms pinned above her head. She sobbed and screamed but he just stared at her.

"I hate you." she said her voice horse from crying and screaming "I fucking hate you."

James closed his eyes and sat on the floor. Caroline joined him, her arms wrapped around his neck as she hugged him and cried.

"You're alright Caroline." James soothed her. His fingers combed through her short and messy hair "You're alright." he repeated

"I hate this." she pulled away "I hate how angry I am all the time."

His brown eyes stared into her blue ones "It'll get better eventually." he held her hand "Just don't leave please. Caroline I'm praying we'll end up together."

She looked at their interlocked hands then back at him "James we aren't good for each other." she took her hand from his

"Please." he begged his brown eyes filling with tears

She wiped his tears away that fell "We already said our goodbyes. And I, I keep coming back out selfishness." she let out a laugh "God I've been so selfish. You can love someone who's a wonderful girl. But I keep coming back."

James looked at Caroline "Stay with me please."

"I can't and you know that. It's time for us to let go." she bit her lip to keep the sobs in "It's over James. It has to be."

"Do me a favor then." he said "Forget about me. Promise me that you'll never think of me again. And that you'll go on living a happy life."

Caroline did say anything, insteade she kissed his cheek one last time then stood up. She looked at him one last time and left, vanishing from his life. No trace of her was left that day when she left. It was if she was an illusion to him.

James sat on the floor not moving from his spot. His heart hurt and he couldn't stop crying. He felt brokeness again. Not that he felt it often but when he did feel it, well it hurt him like hell. He knew the reason she didn't say anything to his promsie was because he knew she'd think about him as he would her. But in the end it wouldn't matter because that was goodbye.