- fourteen -

She had feelings for Winter.

Karina looked down at the smaller girl next to her and bit her lip. Of course she couldn't have fallen for the friendly girl that always smiles at her in Starbucks, or the blonde haired girl in her Art History class.

No, she had to fall for Winter. The eccentric, messy, human tornado that had shown up on their doorstep.

But Winter was so many other things to Karina. Adorable, affectionate, endearing, genuine, cuddly, goofy, enchanting, and yellow. Yellow.

Karina understood why Winter liked that color so much. Winter was the human equivalent of the color yellow. Bright, cheery and joyful. Yellow was also the color of sunshine, which Karina considered ironic.

So to answer her own question, yes. Karina would let Winter kiss her. There was only one problem, and that was the fact that Karina had no idea if Winter even knew what kissing meant. What if Winter just wanted to kiss everyone she met?

It was obvious that Winter was capable of love. Karina could tell by the way the smaller girl would give the gentlest of care to even something as trivial as a flower. Winter loved. Winter loved everything.

But did Winter know how to love?

The fact that Karina could see herself loving Winter surprised even Karina herself. She had never seen herself falling in love. In fact, Karina had basically sworn off any type of relationship before she met Winter.

Karina didn't like people. Most people. She liked her family, her roommates, and now Winter. That was about it.

She was always afraid that someone was trying to befriend her for the wrong reasons. Or that someone was being nice to her as a joke. She hated secrecy, and lies, and everything else that most people considered to be just a normal part of life.

But now, there was Winter. Winter was pure, Winter was innocent. There wasn't even a word to describe Winter. She was just so genuinely Winter.

There was no way of knowing if Winter returned her feelings, really. Karina sighed heavily, realizing that she would have to wait and see what happens.

Winter lifted her head and furrowed her eyebrows when she felt Karina sigh.

"Yooji?" she tilted her head to the side. "Are you sad?"

Karina laughed softly and shook her head. "No, silly," she crinkled her nose. "I'm just tired." she noticed Winter yawn and realized the smaller girl was probably still exhausted from the night before. They both hadn't gotten much sleep.

"Goodnight, Yooji," Winter mumbled, before burying her head in Karina's shoulder. Karina bit her lip to stop herself from smiling. She stared up at the ceiling for a while, continuing to cycle through her thoughts about Winter.

Winter's hand twitched and Karina giggled when she realized she was asleep. she scooted over a bit so they could both fit long ways on the couch. She laid her head back and sighed softly, inviting sleep to overtake her. Eventually her eyelids grew heavy and she drifted off to sleep.

Meanwhile, Giselle and Ningning were being dismissed from their only class that day. The Japanese girl wiped the sweat from her forehead and took a big gulp from her water bottle.

"I'm beat," Giselle huffed as Ningning grabbed her bag and slung it over her shoulder.

"Same. And I'm straving," Ningning patted her stomach for emphasis. Giselle nodded in agreement.

"Hey, why do we meet Yeji at DiClaudio's for lunch and discuss this whole... situation?" Giselle asked, following her roommate down the school hallway and into the parking lot.