Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

“I’ll be right back, Cass. I gotta run to the food store. We’ve got nothing to eat,” Danny called to me from the kitchen. I was on my laptop trying to figure out how many t-shirt to order. We were just a month away from the next tour and you never knew how long it would take for them to come in.

“Ok,” I called back not really paying attention. I was too busy trying to figure out the total for 50,000 bracelets. I heard the front door close as he left.

Suddenly, the phone rang. I look up at the time and realized a few hours had went by. I hadn’t even realized how long Danny had been gone between my music blaring and trying to figure out this math. I stood up to answer the phone my heart pounding. Where the fuck was Danny?

“Hello,” I greeted as I picked up. I heard some noise on the other end. All I could think about was Danny. 

“Hello. Is this Cassidy?” a women’s voice that I had never heard before asked.

“Yes. Who is this?” I asked confused. How did this women know who I was? Where was Danny?

“I work at the hospital. Do you know a Mr. Daniel Worsnop?” she questioned. She worked at the hospital? Was Danny hurt?

“Yes, I’m his girlfriend. Why?” I answered. Danny had to be alright. He just had to. After everything we had been through in the last few months, it couldn’t just all go to waste now.

“Mr. Worsnop has been in a car accident. We need you to come down to the hospital as soon as possible,” she told me. My whole world stopped. Danny had been in a car accident. The love of my life had been in a car accident.

“Is he alright?” I questioned once I regained my ability to speak. I was still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that Danny was hurt.

“He will be. We just need you to come to the hospital,” she answered. I felt like I was in movie or something. This could not be real life.

“Ok,” I murmured hanging the phone up. I grabbed my keys realizing that he had taken the car. This just was not my day. 

I called Ben and told him what happened. He was at the front door faster than a race car driver and he drove to the hospital just as fast. “Slow the fuck down, Ben. Do you want to be the next one in a car accident?” I scolded angrily. I was not in the mood for Ben’s bad driving habits.  

“Sorry, Cass,” Ben mumbled apologetically, but he didn’t slow down much. I knew he was just worried about Danny.

Fortunately, we arrived at the hospital in one piece. We ran in and up to a desk in a waiting room. “Can I help you?” the lady sitting at the desk questioned nonchalantly. She said it as if people being in pain and people dying all around her didn’t phase her. 

“I got a calling saying that my boyfriend had been in a car accident,” I told her trying to act calm. It was hard, but I managed to do it.

“What’s his name?” she asked exasperated. She practically acted liked helping me was a hassle. She only got paid to sit in front of a computer screen all say.

“Daniel Worsnop,” I replied trying not to let her get me down. I fiddled with some pens on the desk.

“Oh, he’s in the operating room. You can have a seat and fill out this paper work for me,” she told me handing me a clipboard. I practically stopped breathing when she said operating room.

“Um... ok,” I stammered. I grabbed the clipboard and sat down. I was still pretty shocked about everything, but Ben seemed way more shocked. 

Together, Ben and I figured out most of the information about Danny for the paperwork and we waited. And waited. And waited. I ended up falling asleep after about two hours. 

“Excuse me,” someone said startling me awake. I realized I had had my head on Ben’s shoulder. I sat up straight and and heard my neck crack. I winced in pain and looked up at the person who had interrupted my sleep.

“I’m sorry to wake you, but are you here for Mr. Worsnop?” she asked. She was bent down to my level and had a clipboard in hand.

“Yes,” I replied. I knew whatever she told me next could change my life forever.

“I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but he pasted away a few moments,” she told me. I felt myself stop breathing, my heart stop beating, and my mind stop thinking. No. This could not be true. There was no way he was dead.

“No... he can’t be... he just can’t be,” I stammered tears streaming down my face. I felt like I might throw up right in the doctor’s shoes.

“Cassidy,” I heard Ben’s voice yell waking me up for real this time. I jumped awake to see a nurse standing over me.

“Is he ok? Is Danny ok?” I asked hurriedly the dream still fresh in my head. I needed to know he was ok or at least alive. 

“Yes, Mr. Worsnop is fine. You can go in and see him now. He’s a little weak. I wasn’t going to let him have visitors yet, but he kept asking to see you,” she told me with a smile. There was no better feeling than knowing Danny had asked to see me.

After she told me his room number, I practically ran down hallways with Ben struggling to keep up. When I reached his room, I ripped the door open and entered trying to catch my breath. Danny turned his head and gave a weak smile when he saw me.

“Hey, babe,” he greeted. I sat down in one of the chairs next to the bed as Ben walked in. “Hey, man,” he said in regards to Ben. Ben just nodded clearly out of breath from chasing me.

“What happened?” I asked concerned. I was trying to imagine what could have possibly happened and what Danny could possibly be feeling right then.

“I was on my way home from the store and a car just swerved out of nowhere. The driver ended up being drunk,” he explained. I winced at the sound of the scenario as a doctor walked in.

“How you feeling, Mr. Worsnop?” he questioned looking down at Danny. I felt a hand insert itself in mine and looked down to find Danny’s hand in mine.

“Better than I expected I’d feel,” he informed the doctor. I felt him give my hand a small squeeze.

“Well, that’s good,” the doctor responded with a chuckle. He explained all about Danny’s broken bones and how long it would take for him to get better. It turned out we might not hit the road again for at least another month and a half, which was fine with me. It would give me a little more alone time with Danny and who would fight that? He said he wanted to keep Danny at the hospital for a day or two just to make sure he would be ok and left.

“I’m going to go get something to...uh... drink,” Ben told us. I was pretty sure he was just leaving so that we could get some time to talk alone, which was so nice of him.

“Ok,” I replied with a nod. He walked out the door and I went back to concentrating on Danny.

“I’m so glad your gonna be ok,” I whispered. I stroked his hair affectionately. I couldn’t even begin to think about life without him.

“Me, too,” he responded sarcastically. I had to crack a smile. It was the only thing I could do to keep myself from crying.

“I had a dream that you died. I don’t know what I’d do without you,” I murmured under my breath. It was true; I had no idea what I would do if he had died in that car accident. I would probably have killed myself. After all that we had come through and how much I loved him, there was no way I could live without him.