Let's Tell the Truth

“I was going to tell you that I’m going to try to stop drinking again,” he told me finally. I couldn’t figure out why he had been so nervous to tell me that. He obviously had to know I was going to be ecstatic. 

“Really?” I exclaimed with a huge smile. I couldn’t believe I was going to have the old Danny back again.

He nodded and I wrapped my arm around him. He hugged me back. We hugged for a moment. It felt so nice to have his arms around me.

He started backing away and then he did something I never thought he’d do in a million years. His lips suddenly collided with mine. My eyes lids fluttered shut and I found myself kissing back. I didn’t even think to question it. Josh came into my mind suddenly, but I pushed him back out. All I could feel were his lips on mine. I felt his hands go into my hair and his tongue push into my mouth. I was kind of confused, though. What was with all the sudden lust? I liked it, but why?

I pulled away. “What?” he asked. He pulled his hand out of my hair and gave me a questioning look.

“What’s this all  about?” I questioned. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to know about his train of thought that led up to this one, but I had a right to know.

“I’ve...uh...I’ve always liked you,” he replied in a nervous whisper. He averted my eyes. I had never heard him be this quiet.

“You have?” I asked dumbly. I was kind of shocked. I didn’t really believe that he had liked me since we were 12.

He nodded. “Since the first time I saw you, I thought you were beautiful,” he whispered. I felt my face get hot. He thought I was beautiful? I had never thought of myself as beautiful. I was average, maybe a bit above average, but nothing even close to beautiful.

I sat there speechless. Danny would be such a good guy for me. We were always together and he had liked me for 10 years. He had waited for me for 10 fucking years. That was dedication. 

“I love you,” he told me quietly. I saw a smile form on his face. I was still taking this all in. My best friend had just told me he loved me. That didn’t exactly happen everyday. Did I really love him? I had never thought about him in that way. I mean, he was my best friend, so of course I loved him, but did I really love him the way he loved me? I thought it was sweet how he had waited for me and  how he thought I was beautiful, but could I say I loved him?

“Sorry. Taking this all in,” I mumbled. I looked down at my lap. I surely didn’t want to crush his feelings, but at that moment, I had no idea what to say.

“It’s ok. I’ve waited 10 years, I can wait a bit longer,” he told me with a smile. He rubbed my back and stood up. “I’m gonna go to bed,” he said and walked to his bunk.

He loved me. Danny, my best friend, loved me. It was a lot to take in. I was still in complete shock. I decided to go to bed myself, but I didn’t really go to sleep. I was up for hours thinking about what he had told me. I came to the conclusion that I loved him, too.