Chapter 19: Tomorrow's a Mystery

Kara's POV

When Lena and I came back from Nixon Valley, Lena has been distant. I tried to call her to meet but she was always in her lab and just informed the Team to call her if it was urgent. She missed my calls just a while ago. I know what we have to found at the valley struck her a great deal but she was starting to build her walls up again and I know quite well what could happen if she stays it up. I promised her that I will be there for her and I will always be her friend.

"Aunt Kara!" I was startled through my thought hearing an excited Esme, my adorable niece as she came running towards me. We are at the Tower's living room and I'm glad to see this happy face again. Alex stood on the doorway looking at me. "She just misses you so I was persuaded by this cutesy to bring her to the Tower." I just nodded.

"Hello there, little one, I missed you!" I hugged the energetic ball of cuteness and she squeezed me tight in return. "Woops, that's one tight hug." I told her. "Oh Auntie sorry I'm just excited to see you too." She apologized and giggled. Esme is a Dyralian, her species that has the ability to copy other aliens' powers. She successfully copied both mine and J'onn powers, perfectly replicating them at full power before. She was still learning and a fast learner I can say at her age. Sometimes her emotions just drive her powers to slip up out of control. "That's OK you know I love tight hugs, especially from you. So did you just came up her to visit me, little one?"

I remembered my Aunt Astra used to call me this nickname, always treating me like I came from her too. Like I was her own child. I felt that with Esme so I am keeping that nickname and pass it to her even she grows up. "Mommy Kelly and Mama Alex told me I can come visit cause you're always busy so you can't do it and I guess I'll just come visit cause I already missed you Aunt Kara and Mama Lena too!" Esme said it all at once but her inquiry for Lena kind of made me feel sad again. "Where she is, I really want to see her." Esme asked and my heart swelled. Lena was not here and I missed her too. I looked at Alex and she just nodded. She knew what was happening with Lena but she too just giving Lena some time to open up.

"Kara I'll be downstairs, baby behave here alright I'll leave for a while with Auntie Kara so you two can bond. Is that OK Kara?" Alex confirmed. "Of course Alex, please let me borrow up Esme." I responded. "Alright see you later." Alex waived bye as she went to the elevator and Esme waived back and yelled "Bye mama!"

I dialed her number but she was not picking up. For the second time, still Lena did not pick up.

"Mama Lena must be working late on something but I will call again to tell her you're looking for her. Wait me here in the living room OK?" I told Esme and she nodded. I tried to call her again but no she was not answer then maybe I should use the Tower's Emergency button, she left me no choice.

In few seconds, Lena transported from her transmatter portal. "Kara is there an emergency?" Lena asked in panic. "There is, Esme was looking for you. She misses you." I told her. "Kara you know well that is not how the Emergency button was designed for. I'll make up with Esme I promise I just have something that I am working out my Lab." Lena answered and tried to dial up her watch so I stopped her before she can punch it.

"No, Lena whatever you are working with can wait. Esme needs your time and I think you need some time off too." My voice seemed getting low pitched and smaller as Lena looked at me. "Lena you've been distant for days, you're trying to keep us away from you. Those walls Lena you're building it up again. You know I'm here right?" She just sighed but her eyes feel on the floor now wanting to spare me a look.

"I know you're ignoring me and my calls. I have to reach you, Lena. I wanted to talk to you properly. After we came back from the Valley you just shut me out." I explained to her wanted to push her to talk to me.