Chapter 31: Liquid Courage

Lena’s POV

I might be imagining all of these but Kara seems out of herself. She was actually flirting back. Not that she never done that before but this is way more that she has used to have with me. Occasional banter here and there and mostly I initiate and she will just retort back with a little dirty talk. But tonight her eyes seem a little darker than usual and her responses were getting weirder or should I say getting bolder each minute passing by. God, why does Kara Danvers have to act like this when I myself quite unstable as of the moment? When I get a little drunk my cheeks burn from the paleness my skin has and Kara makes me redder each time through the conversation. Unknowingly Kara’s notable compliments bring heat not just on my already tinted cheeks but to that particular area down there. This night seems like a torture.
The Tower’s already deserted as Alex and Kelly already left so did Nia and Brainy. J’onn might be somewhere got me too preoccupied to know where he might actually be, so Kara and I were the ones left on the corner just making conversations with unintentional flirting. I have never dreamt of Kara being this seductive, suggestively seductive for me. No matter what she do I still find myself in awe of this blonde. Now that she pushing some buttons and bluntly laying it down in from of my heated cheeks, it amazed me more than ever.
I was not someone to be frustrated or easily to become one. In the past years, I never really had someone to really have fun with. My college years were way more over and too far from my current situation on were school night doesn’t really counted an excuse to have a playful night with drinks, occasional make outs and of course hitting of the bed with your colleagues gone out by morning to make up with the classes just barely in time. Being a business woman, managing LCorp, defeating villains and becoming a witch never really make up with the schedule as well. Still I am not the ones who will just have one night stands just for relief but looking at Kara right now with her steamy stares I wish I accounted some side lines once in a while to get hold some more restriction. I am thinking maybe I will have more restraint than I have now just by being stared down by a Super. Kara Danvers has never gotten any single chance to have less of sexual appeal from she has never been but most certainly, tonight.
“Lena, have I told you how much I love the way you chose your lipstick for the day? What you have today it totally suits you. It’s like the last glimpse of the sun as it sets behind horizon, witnessing it before the twilight comes. Umm it’s just… it’s perfect on you.” Kara spoke as she locked her eyes on the direction of my stained lips after our conversation gets more awkward each minute. Not the bad kind of awkward but tension I can fully point my finger to. She was definitely a little drunk and a drunk Kara was a version of her I do not know I can fully handle.
What else can made her speak those strucking words. I was caught up to her stare and our staring contest started again and this time her near proximity was getting unbearable, those cerulean blue orbs she has makes my knees weak and the alcohol was to blame too. She seems not stopping, liquid courage they say. Kara was leaning closely, painfully slow and her breathing seems being sap out. I can feel her nervousness and its pulsating with my body with great anticipation.
For the past years Kara and I shared the same seat or even the same bed. I never dared to look at her with the great amount of yearning just like this. Full of desire to caress her, touch her not on a platonic way but to have her in my arms and kiss her fully, passionately. It would totally kill me on the actual state but I certainly dreamt of her on more passionate set-up. Plenty of times to be exact. I never knew I had that so much strength for restraint before but tonight it seems like that strength has vanished.
It took me just a remaining ounce of my strength to look away and turn my gaze to the glass of scotch I had on my right hand. Kara did too, probably waking up in trance realizing the tension we have both. The ice got already diluted on the drink that I made it won’t taste that strong anymore. Maybe I should go home now, the little party we had at the Tower was unplanned because of the victory we had earlier but things were getting a little intense for my own good. Kara was behaving a little gallant than she is and I don’t want to elevate this because of alcohol. Kara deserves more than that, moreover I need to confess to her on a way more appropriate set-up than being a half-drunk persona.
“Kara I think I’ll get some rest now, you should too. This day’s event went well it’s umm… pretty intense.” Kara took in a short gasp of air and nodded. “Yeah you’re right. It’s already kindly late I guess.” She answered. “You could use some rest too, I’ll see you tomorrow?” I stood up before my weaken knees got me a slightly off balance. Kara took my arms and caught me immediately.
“Lena! Are you OK? I think you got a little too much to drink. Is it okay if I’ll take you home?” Kara said and I think I’m not getting off her presence immediately. Kara’s worried face was one of the things I can’t handle too so I just nodded seeing she will not receive no for answer no matter what I’ll say. The rest of our friends have already taken off so we just made our way out of the Tower.
“Kara?” I asked her and she stopped straightaway. “I wanted to try something. Just don’t let go of my hand. Okay?” Kara wondered why but did not ask any more questions. She just took my hand right away and her hand warmed mines like they always do. I apparated to my penthouse’s living room with Kara beside me, in a matter of seconds.
“Holy crap! Did I just apparated? That is so cool!” Kara giddily responded not taking too much first flight after effects because well, she is Supergirl. “Some people would have motion sickness on the first time but I know you won’t because you’re not just some people.” I motioned her to the nearby couch but it was me who was suddenly become restless. Kara may have noticed my sudden state and caught me again for the second time.
“Lena, are you OK?” Worry written all over her face. “Yeah I just tripped Kara, just a little woozy I guess.” I told her but I know that was not the whole reason, I really thought I got the hang of it. “I think you’re not that drunk to trip over on these second time. I should have checked on you earlier. You used up a lot of energy for that huge magic you used didn’t you?” She questioned, the worry that was written on her face earlier became resentful. She helped me sit on the couch and I did not answer her question making it obvious with the answer. “I should have thought of that, you could have been checked or rested, instead I got you drunk. Come on I’ll take you to your room.” Kara immediately scooped me from the couch and held me like a delicate infant. “Kara, I can walk you know.” Kara not hearing what I just said and preceded to my room to where she used to take me after knocking myself out countless time. “We will be checking you up in the morning, I’ll let Alex know. What exactly are you feeling right now?” Kara asked as she put me down gently to the mattress. As she ask this made me reflect on what I was actually feeling.
After stopping that big wave, I felt like there was a portion of my breath that was taken. I manage to keep up my breathing, steadying it till I took a grip on it. I tried to hide it in my subconscious but in the end of the evening it was making me a bit restive.
“Just a bit tired really Kara, don’t worry. Don’t bother Alex or the others. We can’t always have peaceful nights that much so letting them know for unnecessary things like this will just only make them worry. I just need some rest that all.” I looked her in the eyes to let her know that all I just needed was to take a nap. “Alright, take a rest for a while Lee.” Kara gave in but her worry did not subside. “May I take your shoes off?” She asked, but the question came out softly. Kara’s gaze went back to me waiting for my consent.  I nodded in response to her query. Kara smoothly undid the straps of my heels and the way Kara slowly does it, my body tensed up unexpectedly for that simple gesture. What on earth? Get a grip Lena. I scolded myself getting hyped up of Kara’s gentle touch on my ankle as she carefully removed my shoes from my feet. My body reacted to that simple touch that I left out an exhale a little louder that I meant to.
Kara caught this reaction and I her gaze went back to me once again. The closed space of my room and Kara’s nearness made her scent more indulging to my nostrils. Coconut and shea butter, is that’s her shampoo? Most probably, I always get the hint of it but she has this warm and comforting scent ever since. “Aren’t I supposed to be having a sleepover last time?” Kara asked and her weak smile was evident for a suggestion. Damn Kara, I know we have an interrupted conversation the last time and I think I am feeling out of breath again. “Right, that was before the second horseman made its horrific entrance.” I just replied not fully mentioning that unfinished business part. “Well that plan still stand, does it?” Kara asked but I don’t know if I actually have the power to make her leave. As much as want to restrain myself from her, my body was telling me other things. Years of sexual frustration might have accumulated. Well who would have time for that when most of the times the fate of the world were on our shoulders. I just can’t have this frustration in front of Kara though.
“I can use some company.” My misjudging reply to her, I think I underestimated my foolishness with the response I gave but with that Kara’s smile broke out more widely, I take it back. “Kara mind if take a shower? I’ll just use the main bathroom downstairs you can have mine here. I don’t want you to smell my alcohol stench.” I got up embracing the cold floor to my feet. “Don’t be silly Lena it’s your room, let me grab my things real quick.” Kara ushered me like I’m an elderly, I gave her my stern look hope she can read it. “Geez, I’m just planning to accompany you to the shower. Just by the door, I mean.” Kara emphasized the last part correcting herself. I tried not to be too carried away to the thought where Kara and I will be in the bathroom. The thought brought chills to my spine imagining Kara’s naked body on a bathroom. What the hell Lena what were you thinking?  I scolded myself as I walked through the path quietly as I think the idea of Kara her tonight will be a terrible idea.
“Right, I’ll be right back.” I just nodded as Kara sped out so I closed the door to the bathroom. The water may cool me off from the heat I am intensively fighting in Kara’s presence. I can stay here forever, I told myself as I engulf my heating body to the mildly cold water. I’ll regret after this as the cold water will definitely give me chills after. Kara was warm though, ultimately warm but I can’t be close to her tonight because no doubt that I might explode. Damn you Kara Danvers.
I don’t know how long I was been there until I heard Kara’s knock on the bathroom door. “Lena? Just wanted to make sure you’re OK. I think you’ve been there for an hour now?” Shit I think I did mean what said I wanted to stay here forever. I zoned out in the shower contemplating what this evening may turn to. Moreover, my body seemed light and heavy at the same time because of earlier magic I did, I think I did pass out momentarily. Hearing Kara’s voice something squirmed in my stomach that increased the throbbing on my chest. I should act normally.
“Lena? Sorry but I’m getting worried. Will you answer please? I don’t want to use my X-ray vision for this. That won’t be umm… appropriate. Lee?” Kara said on the other side on the door.
“I’m heading out Kara, sorry, I’m fine.” I replied not wanting her to use her X-ray vision. God I was naked.
“Thank Rao, I thought you passed out or something.” Kara replied on the door, worry was evident to her voice.
“Yeah, my bad I should have answered right away.” I replied looking for a towel. “God what would you see if you use that eyes of yours through this door.” I mumbled, wrapping myself on a not so long towel that my pale thighs were obviously visible. I looked for my robes but there was none hanging on the cabinet. So I just decided to come out on just this tiny towel.
“I…I’m not actually planning to peek through the door but I umm…I-” Kara still replying probably heard my mumbles when I opened the door but her words were caught up on the air.
“Kara, I know you always sleep in my bed so you can head first I’ll change quickly.” I told her but her eyes were fixated on me and I felt like I am naked despite of the towel I wrapped myself into. Seeing the look of Kara’s gaze I can’t help but feel something again inside my gut hoping I don’t look like a fool in front her. I feel conscious so I remove my stare and step sideways to the closet.
Kara was different tonight since the party earlier, she was acting strange. She may be adorable Kara Danvers everyone knows but the way she looked at me, I’m starting to feel like her stares meant something more. She wanted more. The throbbing on my chest and my stomach was getting uncontrolled. I changed quickly and took the hair blower to my room.
“Mind if I do your hair?” If I can just say you can do anything to me Kara this evening will be unimaginable but again I restraint myself for thinking of that response. That would be stupid to say.
“Sure, Shaggy.” I responded to her seeing her Scooby doo t-shirt.
“Hey, he’s a cool detective.” Kara responded defensively as I stare at her comfortable pyjama shirt. I just giggled in response. “Umm come here.” She pulled me on the center of the bed and start drying my hair.
“How are you feeling Lee?” She asked me as I indulge myself to the warmth her close body was giving off. “Actually I’m feeling good now, it’s just a tiring day for everyone I guess. You may be tired too.” I told her as I move closer to her crossed legs as so she can easily dry my hair more closely. “I’m fine, yeah it was tiring but seeing what you did earlier I think I regain my strength just immediately, which is by the way amazing. I’m… I’m just so glad you’re here Lena.” Kara’s voice seemed a little sad though. I have a hunch but still wanted to talk to her about it.
“Kara, why presence now makes you gloomy? You seemed more sad now that I am back.” I asked her but it was obvious this is not the case still I want her to address it. Since I came back, her gaze felt different especially tonight it felt different. “You sound different tonight Kara, or it just tonight that I started noticing it more.” I then said.
I turned around seeing Kara was already done with my hair. Her eyes were on her hand and she was playing on the sheets like a child was being confronted then she stopped fidgeting her hand and meet my gaze. “Different how Lena? And I am not gloomy by you presence it’s just…” I waited wanted her to continue. “I just feel like you’re stay may be just temporary once everything was done with the Five Horsemen you’ll leave again.” She said filling all the blanks spaces.
“It makes me want to wrap you up and not to ever let you go but that would be very, very selfish of me. Lena I…And after you said last time that you wanted something more that will affect our friendship. I hate to assume this but I was hoping it would not be too late for me to confess.” Kara was determined, never letting her gaze away from me. My heart was thumping so loud with Kara’s words. She doesn’t want me to leave ever again. I don’t want to either.
“Lee, have I told you what I did when you were extremely mad at me before? That night I went here telling you if you continue to work with Lex I will treat you as a villain too?” She asked me, how can I forget it? It was one of the nights I drown myself more to the scotch bottle that was just being kept and neglected on my kitchen’s cupboard. It became my new best friend on that period of the self-absorbed and hatred-driven part of myself.
“Some night I will never forget Supergirl.” I grinned though it pained me still to think about that time. “I am so sorry by the way.” She apologized on the things way to far from our past. “Kara it was okay, back then everything seemed dark and painful. We make things we regret and speak things we never really meant. I myself spoke so high when accused of being a villain when the truth is I am truly being one.” I told her though we have passed that, the scars where never gone. “That’s not true but yeah, we both have a hard time. I was consumed that night because of how much I have suffered through different timelines.” Kara said and this made me confused about the timeline portion. “Why do you mean timelines?” So I questioned her.
Her look seem far away, probably reminiscing the time we were apart. “I tried to recreate our times together Lena, on where I can tell you I was Supergirl right before Lex was able to tell you, because that secret I kept so very long had broken us apart. Mxy helped me back then. Repeating every parts of our history on where I kept lying, it felt like torture on me making you feel you have never been important to me because of something so big I kept from you. Each time line I told you the truth but it gave a really bad ending no matter what timeline I chose. Secrets Lena, that broke us and maybe it’s time for me to share you one of the secrets I was keeping to you for a long time. I don’t want to make another mistake. Not anymore.” Kara said her breathing seems a little heavy. I never interrupted her.
“I just wanted to tell you that I’m…uhh… I’m in love. I’m always been in love with a woman. A great, passionate, strong and wonderful woman.” Kara’s words dawned on me and my breathing, I felt like I forgot to breathe as tears tempted to escape from my eyes. She herself was shaking like she was going to pass out.
“Kara…I…I…” Words have left my brain I have nothing in stored to reply on that. My mind flew from space to somewhere far. I was so surprised that I just let my mouth open without properly saying something. So after all this time she was in love with someone else. I felt like my heart was breaking the shattering pieces echo inside my brain that left me numb for a brief time till I come back to my senses to what I just heard from her.
“Is she someone I know?” Were the words I frantically spilled just to make up on the gaping mouth I was frozen with. “Kara it’s okay, you can tell me who, don’t be afraid.” I then managed to add up regaining my composure a little from what Kara had just said to me. Kara’s ocean eyes flickered, tears were now slowly streaming down her beautiful face. “Yeah, you know her. But I can’t say her name I think I chickened out just this second. Rao, I…I. Can you trust me to tell you who that is when I’m ready?” Kara spoke as her body shivered through her cry. Her breathing was fast like she was hyperventilating so I took her hands even mines where shaking like crazy.
With words not filling in to my brain of anything comprehensible I just grab Kara’s cheeks on my palms and do the thing I was only dreaming and imagining before. I kissed the woman I am deeply in love with and it felt like she needed to be struck by a lightning first to come full to her senses the she was in love with me a woman too. But the kissed I gave has landed to her forehead as bitter tears rolled down my face as well. Kara broke my heart, again, but this time I don’t know if I’ll ever recover. Kara was in love with someone else and I don’t think the two of us can ever be more than just friends. Staying platonic with her with overwhelming feelings I have, I guess will be my punishment for being unconventionally late to speak out for myself. Expressing these feelings may only the cause to lose the friendship I have with her, it’s something I want to have at least and would never ruin. I know from this moment on, I can never ever going to be Kara Danvers a.k.a Supergirl’s love interest. Not in this universe.