Book 1: Water | 30 | Familiar Oppression

Art Drawn By Me!

"Are you both stupid?" He asked, his voice a deathly calm that was laced with fury, "Is it not common sense not to approach strangers in a hostile land?" In town, that would be more acceptable. Asking someone for directions is normal. But this? In the middle of a barren forest? While the other was earth bending, no less?

Fire nation was not the only evil in this world. Anyone could be in league with them, whether that be for money, through threatening, or some other reason. Just because they manipulated another element other than fire does not automatically make them allies.

Ayaan simply could not understand.

"All we did was say hello," Katara said, irritation clear in her tone. "What was the problem doing that?"

"How do you not understand what was wrong?" Ayaan's expression was pure confusion, while Katara continued to be irritated. They were glaring at each other. Since the Omashu incident, Ayaan had been watching their actions like a hawk. Aside from their training, they weren't allowed to roam away from his sight.

And now he's like this after a simple hello? What next, would he tie her hands and feet with ropes?

Ayaan, on the other hand, felt it was necessary to keep tabs on his family. Sokka, while competent, was clumsy and easily injured himself. Aang was Aang, the kid was prone to getting himself into messes. And Katara hardly ever thinks before she acts or speaks.

When she broke the iceberg that was hiding Aang because she was angry, followed him into that cursed ship, almost ran away with him after they temporarily banished him, went with him on a joyride in a mail cart in Omashu... the list was long.

There was this very uncomfortable feeling when he discerned that in all of these acts, she was following Aang. For some reason, he felt the need to point his spear at the boy every time he thought about it. Naturally, he wanted to keep extra tabs on the two as well.

He was... protective. He understood this as well, but he mostly believed it was because: One, they were the youngest, Two, she was his younger sister, Three, he didn't want them hurting themselves in their little fun-seeking stunts, and Four, it was his job as the oldest to worry and protect them.

Though sometimes he wanted Aang to be seated very far from Katara, he had no idea why that was. Ayaan being Ayaan, asked this question directly. The answers he got varied.

Sokka didn't feel like explaining it to him at all, though he knew something. He always said that he'd figure it out eventually, though it left him more confused than before.

Katara was oblivious to why he felt any need to do that since she and Aang were good friends, going back to whatever she was doing afterward.

And Aang, for some reason, had this expression on his face like he was caught eating the last egg custard tart.

Confused. Ayaan was thoroughly confused. Why did he look like he was caught doing something bad?

But this wasn't that. He understood clearly why he was upset in this situation.

Aang looked between the two glaring at each other and spoke up, "I wasn't cautious and ran in without thinking further. I'm sorry."

"But all we did was say hello, Aang!" Katara fumed.

Ayaan ignored her this time. He was still a bit upset, but glad that at least one of them was understanding. He pats the boy's head in approval, which causes Aang to beam. It was Ayaan's silent form of praise.