Book 1: Water | 40 | Liberation I

They were being as stealthy as possible as they covered each and every vent in the courtyard. It was a simple and efficient plan to guide the coal when Aang works his Airbender magic.

"I still wish I knew how to make hurricanes," Aang whispered, "but this plan is great, too!"

Ayaan gave Aang a head pat, "I'm sure you will be able to one day."

Avatars were known to be powerful benders, so strong they could make the impossible happen. Storms, eruptions, tsunamis; Gran-Gran had told them many stories about their amazing feats.

Aang smiled at that, imagining himself creating storms, "That'd be totally awesome—" Then he spotted Yon just behind the white-haired youth, "—Woah! You're so tall! You're the biggest person I've ever seen! How'd you get so tall?"

The enormous woman laughed quietly at the excitable little Airbender, "Genetics, proper diet, and lots of training, little one."

"Is it like Ayaan's training...?" Aang withheld a grimace at the thought. The training they were going through with the watertribe warrior was grueling on good days. But it produced excellent results. He actually had muscles now. Didn't matter if they were still small, they were there, and he was proud of them!

He wondered if they would impress a certain waterbender girl he liked...

"Who knows?" She answered mysteriously, making Aang even more curious, as well as apprehensive.

'Why does her smile look so scary?'

That was when he spotted the little creature curled up on her shoulder, and all thoughts about her crazy height and the scary smile vanished.

"Oh my goodness what's that?!" He pointed to Bella, the little flutterbat still tucked into Yon's neck. "A bat? A butterfly? So small..."

"This is Bella, my flutterbat." Yon introduced.

"Byu~" Bella greeted.

"She's adorable!" Aang gushed. There was something about this animal that told him it was a lot different than the ones he encountered, but he didn't pay much attention to that feeling as Bella flew over to him and allowed him to pat her. "Hey Ayaan, have you felt her fur? It's so soft!"

"Yes." He answered. Bella immediately took this chance to fly to him, nuzzling into his cheek again. Happy trills could be heard as he found himself gently petting her with his finger. "It is very soft."

Aang shook his head, "Yet another animal loves you. How do you do that?"

"Apparently, it is a perk of being a blessed child of water." Katara answered, "And he can sense water too, did you know that?"

"What?!" Aang had stars in his eyes, "That's cool! How come you didn't tell us you could do that, Ayaan?"

"I thought it was normal for waterbenders."

The young Avatar was in awe, "So how'd you guys figure out it's because of your blessing?"

"Yon." He pointed to Yon. "She explained it to me."

It was then that he realized something, "You're who those other guys told Ayaan to meet! Sorry for not introducing myself before. I'm Aang. It's very nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you, too, Little Avatar."

At that, Aang's eyes widened to saucers, "H-how'd you know I was the—"

"The same way I could tell Ayaan here was a blessed child."

She could tell at a glance who this kid was, she was certain every Asrar could. His aura was bright like a beacon, rich and dense from the many lives he'd lived. From the brightness alone she could tell that this kid was a good egg, and probably wouldn't want to hurt a fly.