Book 1: Water | 47 | Unrealized Potential

Sketch By Me! Thought I'd give y'all a bit more Fem-Ayaan!

.

•───────•⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☾☼☽∘∙⊱⋅•⋅•───────•

.

Ayaan and Sokka were together throughout the early morning planning their next moves. Honest opinions were shared, and the younger felt a lot closer to his brother than before. He'd always understood his thinking better than most, and having him be more honest and open with him was a dream.

He may not have been well-versed in emotional support, but Sokka was damn sure determined to do his best. When the aspiring warrior set out to do something, he stayed consistent until he was proven wrong. And if he was proven wrong, while he'd be hurt by it, he was man enough to apologize (with his brother's presence as assurance, of course).

Ayaan knew that too. He was... happy to know that his brother was so willing to listen to him. Though he wouldn't scare him with his inner thoughts. Those, he would keep to himself.

He was... fine. Yeah, he'd be fine with just this.

He can manage his emotions enough to not lose it as he almost had back at the mining village. As Sokka had mentioned, it was more likely for them to get into trouble throughout this journey. He should trust himself more, and trust his siblings more, right?

Right?

"Come on." Ayaan made his way back to camp, urging Sokka to follow, which the younger did eagerly. "The north is still very far."

"Yeah," Sokka recalled the more updated maps they'd gotten. Man, those Phantom guys were amazing! Sokka had to give props where they were due. Whoever made this map was practically an artist. "The route we'd have to take goes right through Fire Nation territory. I'd rather go a different way, but..."

"We can't afford to waste more time." Ayaan finished. They needed to get stronger, and finding a master for Aang, and in turn, Katara, was the best way to do that.

For now, though, he had to deal with a pacing Aang, who seemed a bit worried about something. "Aang? What's wrong?"

"A lot of things would have been easier if I knew waterbending." He said, "But I have no clue how to do anything and we're still weeks away from the north pole!" His contemplative gaze met Ayaan's, "What should I do?"

Learning the elements was one of the most important things for the Avatar to do. It was like, their whole thing, right? But Aang's been sitting pretty with only his airbending in his arsenal!

It felt like it wouldn't be enough with just that. He needed to start working on being the Avatar, but how was he supposed to do that? He had no idea, and it had been worrying him to no end.

On Kyoshi, in Omashu, on the rig, it had become clear to him just how important the Avatar was to people. It felt like a punch from Ayaan whenever he thought about the fact that he was nowhere near strong enough to live up to those expectations of him.

It had been a hundred years... For that long, he'd been on ice. Frozen, stagnant. He knew he needed to make up for lost time.

"Calm down, Aang." Ayaan, bless him, gave him a gentle pat on his head. "You're doing fine. You have improved greatly."

"I guess..." Ayaan's been great at teaching some techniques he could use with his staff. His overall strategy and combat with it had improved by leaps and bounds! But he knew what Katara had been speaking about earlier when she'd said he couldn't teach some things well.