Book 1: Water | 49 | The Suspicious Market

A/N: Art by Me! Ayaan in Demon Slayer is a real possibility—

"Okay, do you remember the plan this time?" Ayaan stated, giving the trio a narrow look. His patience for their antics in new places had worn completely thin. The glare in his eyes was scathing as they shrunk in on themselves.

His 'responsible big brother mode' had activated once again, only this time they were in a questionable market trying to refill their supplies. There was no way in hell he was going to let them out of his sight this time. Get in, get what they needed, get out. That was all he wanted to happen.

"Spend our money wisely," Sokka said, each of them holding up the allowances he'd given them, "If it can even be called pocket change..."

"Be grateful I even gave you that." Ayaan wasn't taking any type of lip about the matter. He'd since given them the gifts that he'd bought for them back in Omashu, but their money? Nah. No. He had that on him, their allowance completely cut aside from the necessity.

He had given them a good chunk back in Omashu, and they instead decided to joyride a stolen mail cart through a couple of buildings. So, he thought they must not have actually needed that much money, as they refused to use it properly. Thus, the less it was, and less it will stay until he can actually trust them to not do something stupid.

If they could prove they were responsible enough to handle it, then he'd increase it, but until then? They were going to have to make it work.

End of story.

"Repeat the rules I stated."

"Use the whistle if something goes wrong," Aang said. Then he thought of something, "I can blow it really hard, so you don't need to watch us from so close—"

"The two times I've left you all," Ayaan's eyes narrowed. "we were arrested. Literally, both times."

The three gremlins winced when they realized that, yeah, he was right. First, it was Omashu, and then it was the mining village. He'd left to do other things, and they... did stuff that got them arrested and he was dragged into it.

"I am not an idiot who would make that mistake a third time."

"Yes, sir..."

Ayaan pointedly looked toward Katara this time, "What are the other important rules?"

"...Don't do anything that is 'reckless and problem-inducing'." Katara sighed. He'd repeated the line enough to make her ears bleed.

"Aang, what came after that?"

"Business only, no 'looking for fun'?"

"Why did that sound like a question?"

"No looking for fun." He restated quickly, "Definitely no fun this time."

"And Sokka?" Their eyes met, and the eldest could see the determination to prove his worth in his little brother's eyes.

"Don't let them do recklessly fun, problem-inducing activities. I'll do my best to keep them in check if you need to go somewhere."

"Good. Looking out for each other is a top priority," After a stern look at each of them, who were holding their breath once again, Ayaan finally, finally relaxed a bit. "And the last, most important rule?"

At this one, the trouble trio sighed good-naturedly. Of course, this is Ayaan's most important rule for them. "Be safe."

And just like that, they made their way into the market. Aang had on his conical hat just in case he was recognized for his arrows. It wasn't uncommon for foreigners to traverse through a port town such as this one, as they were seen as neutral grounds for marketplaces.