Chapter 4: Coffee

TW: Cursing + Suicide (Dazai)
SW: Yokohama Gangster Paradise (Yokohama Gangster Paradise pt. 1)
RI: Osamu Dazai, Doppo Kunikida, Chuuya Nakahara

"Now then, you mentioned wanting to request an investigation but what manner of investigation are we speaking of here?" Junichiro questioned, flipping through a few documents as a blonde woman who looked to be in her twenties listened patiently an...

"Now then, you mentioned wanting to request an investigation but what manner of investigation are we speaking of here?" Junichiro questioned, flipping through a few documents as a blonde woman who looked to be in her twenties listened patiently and politely from her seat. She was the agency's new client, and we were currently finding out more about the job she requested us to do.

Before the client could speak however, Dazai walked up to her and got on one knee before caressing her hand gently. He exclaimed dramatically, "so beautiful! You remind me of a lotus blossom: all at once elegant and ephemeral."

"Oh dear god," you mumbled, rubbing your temples. "Not again... he does this with me and every client, it's as if it's his greeting to people he finds attractive."

Atsushi cast a shocked and worried glance in your direction before looking back at the man who was still busy flirting with the client.

You slightly noticed his slender hands slipping something into her pocket, but you decided not to mention it. As he did this, he asked, "would you care to join me in a double suici-"

Kunikida got to him before he could get to the girl. With one punch from his partner, Dazai was sent tumbling across the room. The now incredibly confused client muttered, "huh?"

With a sigh, Kunikida started walking over to Dazai. "Allow me to apologize for the distraction," he calmly stated as he wicked up the suicide fanatic and opened up the door to the closet. "Please, continue on. I'll take care of this." After he finished his words, the closet door eerily shut behind him. A few seconds later, they heard shouting, slapping, and punching coming from the room. You could hear Kunikida's voice boom, "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!?"

"Please let me expand a little on my request," the client continued, completely unfazed after what happened.

"O-oh... okay," Junichiro muttered, "of course."

"You see, there's recently been a group of seedy-looking individuals loitering in the back alley of my company building," she explained.

Seeing as Junichiro, Naomi, and Atsushi seemed almost too shocked and embarrassed to respond, you spoke up and asked, "could you elaborate on that?"

"They wear clothes that are very old and tattered and I heard some of them speak in a foreign language. None of us can identify it," she described.

Suddenly, you heard the closet door reopen again and Kunikida shouted, "if I had to guess, I'd say they sound a lot like smugglers." Behind him, at his feet, was a dazed Dazai, his hand outstretched towards the agents as if that was his desperate last attempt to save himself from Kunikida's beating. The door slowly shut behind Kunikida once more though and Dazai vanished from everyone's view. "They're unavoidable in a port town like this one and with their numbers the police can't do much to stop them."