Chapter 28: Coffins

SW: (N/A)
RI: Gin Akutagawa, Chuuya Nakahara, Osamu Dazai, Doppo Kunikida, Akiko Yosano, Ranpo Edogawa

SW: (N/A)RI: Gin Akutagawa, Chuuya Nakahara, Osamu Dazai, Doppo Kunikida, Akiko Yosano, Ranpo Edogawa

"Pardon me, but I'm going to go take this phone call. It could be something about my work." Gin excused herself from the room and walked outside the building. She had decided to finally go choose a coffin to fake-bury you in. Although they didn't have a body, she knew Chuuya had enough money to want to do a proper funeral.

She raised the phone to her ear and asked, "hello? Who is this?"

The person who replied was probably the last person she'd expect to call. "Gin! Pleasure to speak to you again. We haven't talked since... Oh my, it's been four years already! How shocking!"

"Dazai, why are you calling me? How do you even have my number?"

"I have all of your numbers memorized, just not saved in my phone," Dazai explained, "I've made it so I can contact you but you can't contact me."

Although Gin was still incredibly confused, she continued the conversation and ignored his answer. "Well... what did you want?"

"Oh, nothing much!" Dazai laughed to himself. "I just recently figured out that you will be the one organizing (Y/N)'s funeral since Chuuya isn't in a good mental state of mind right now to do that. I just wanted to let you know that the party's over, the funeral is officially canceled!"

Now, Gin was even more confused. She fell silent in shock. But before she could finally muster up the courage to say something else, Dazai exclaimed, "I'll take that silence as a confirmation that you understood the message. Thanks! Feel free to spend on yourself any of Chuuya's money that you had originally acquired for the funeral. I'm sure he'll appreciate someone burning through his wallet and finally getting rid of it all. But I have to go now, see you around! Tell Chuuya that Dazai said hi! Goodbye, Gin!" With that, he hung up, leaving Gin drowning in confusion.

After a few minutes, she slowly walked back into the building. She looked at the man who had been selling her coffins and muttered, "the funeral is... cancelled?"

~-•-~

Also at the break of dawn, Kunikida set out to dust your room. He made sure to sweep every nook and cranny and get all the spiderwebs out of your room. He decided that he was going to make tomorrow even more wonderful for both him and you with an absolutely spotless room and amazing lunch.. You were coming back... he just knew it at this point. That was the only way Ranpo's message would have made any sense.

The worst part of the room was your closet. He had never seen a dustier place. It was full of nothing but old clothes and relics from your past. All of your belongings and new clothes were folded neatly in a dresser away from your closet.

Before he started getting to work though, odd things started catching his eye. There was one piece of clothing on the rack that looked more like prisoner rags or a hospital outfit than anything else. It was a long grey shirt with torn bits that was definitely too small for you now. Despite this, it seemed well worn and dirty, as if you never tried to clean it. He couldn't help but notice the faint blood stains on it too.