Chapter 33- Betrayal

Loving you was 

The most 

Exquisite Form 

Of Self 

Destruction 

~ d.j.

————-

As soon as the words left Lola's lips my heart dropped. How could she be so sure? There had to be some sort of misunderstanding. What was Gina's jumper doing in the cupboard of my house? 

"What?" were the only words that my dry parched mouth could muster. I continued to stare at Lola dumbfounded, hoping for her to change her answer. As though my life wasn't complicated enough, of course, there had to be more problems. 

My eyes remained fixated on Lola as she fidgeted with her fingers, her gaze lingering on the soft woollen carpet beneath us. She clearly couldn't believe this news herself. I could see her blinking continuously almost as though she was trying to get the information out of her head. 

"Lola, I need you to be sure," I said, stepping into her room completely and closing the door behind me. I knew if someone wanted to eavesdrop a thick wooden door wouldn't be enough to cover the sound, but it was the best thing I could do. 

Lola twiddled with her fingers and finally lifted her head to look at me. 

She was worried. 

This could lead to an all-out war putting the full pack in danger. 

This was the reason I wanted Colton to reject me.

This was the reason I wanted to leave. 

But I was weak and selfish. A life without Colton didn't feel like a life worth living. Without him, I feel empty. So, I came back to cause more death and destruction. 

Without saying another word, she grabbed the jumper which lay in a ball on the floor and flipped it inside out. There was a neatly embroidered tag which had 4 letters scribbled on it. 

Gina 

There it was written in black and white. 

The Truth. 

Silently I grabbed the jumper and walked out of the room. There was nothing else to say. 

We were fucked. 

Two Alphas trying to destroy our pack and it was all my fault. Killing an Alphas mate was unforgivable. Whether it was intentional or unintentional it causes a shit load of problems. More than anything I felt dreadful. My friend's mate was dead because of me. 

A friend who helped me through so much. 

Who encouraged me to give Colton a chance. 

The most loving, caring, gentleman and I was about to destroy him. I had a feeling he could already feel her presence was missing but he wouldn't believe it. Not until I told him. 

The walk down the stairway felt like it lasted an eternity. The long spiralling stairs felt as though they were endlessly looping with no aim in sight. I finally reached the outside of a room where Colton was sitting alone. 

As soon as I walked in, he saw my face and knew something was wrong. 

I was completely pale and felt limp. 

I wanted the ground to swallow me whole. 

Without saying another word, he stood from his seat and embraced me in his arms.