Chapter 3: The book

"Yes, I've meet the princess."

*************

She felt like the world was swallowing her whole.

'I-if Roger has met Athanasia then that means-'  Her hopes were crushed. She could practically hear the voice that brought her here sneering, saying 'it's not as easy as you thought, now is it?'

The duke seemed not to notice his niece's inner strife, only waving his hand in a 'shoo'ing motion. "Leave me. I still have work to complete." He ordered.

'Gladly' Jennette didn't waste any time in her retreat, immediately bursting into tears the moment the office door closed. 'I'm doomed.' she thought to herself. She furiously tried to stop her tears by wiping her eyes, but that only succeeded in making her eyes red, irritated, and puffy.

Jennette went to the only place she knew no one visited frequently; the library.

She sniffled quietly as she entered, due to both her earlier meltdown and the dust floating in the air. The brunette quickly scoped out a small nook in between two old shelves that had a single sofa.

Jennette sniffled once more, and curled into the old cushions. It seemed that crying took alot out of her, and she drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

-X-

"Jeanette?"

She jolted awake, her head whipping around to meet droopy, golden eyes. "Ijekiel?" she called out, incredulous. 'Wasn't he supposed to be studying in Arlatha?' The brunette thought to herself.

Said boy only smiled. "What are you doing here? I thought you hated reading." As he spoke, his eyes drifted down to a dark green book in her hands.

Jennette's eyes did the same, an she nearly flung the book in surprise. "I don't remember picking this up though..." She said, confused. "Beside's that, why are you here?"

Ijekiel tilted his head to the side. "I just got back. We're on break, remember? It's what I wrote about in our letters."

"oh."

Despite the onslaught of new information, Jennette's eyes still trailed back to the book in her hands. 'How to Sign a Contract.' It read. Her hands seemed to move on their own as they instinctively began to flip through the pages.

'the bigger the being the more likely its weaker? the smaller the being is the stronger?' She read, deciphering the words on the old, discolored paper. 'To do a contract means to merge with the being you're summoning...with the supply of the contractor's mana, the summoned being will follow their will?'

So it wasn't about an actual contract, but a magical one. Cool.

"That book, it's about spirits." Ijekiel supplied helpfully. "Though it doesn't seem to be very high quality."

Consider her interest piqued. "Spirits? Like a summoner in those stories?" She asked, beginning to get a grasp on what she read.

Ijekiel nodded his head, his fluffy white hair bounding along with the movement. "Mhm."

Suddenly, a thought struck Jennette's head. 'If I made a contract with a high level spirit, wouldn't it be like having my own Lucas?' She thought, newfound hope making it's way into her head.

A smile blossomed across Jennette's features. "I have to go now, Ijekiel, I have something to do!"

'Something like summoning my own spirit~'