Chapter 12: Lovely

Rose stepped forward. "Now that we're done dressing her highness, would you like some breakfast?"

*************

Jennette's heart jumped at the idea. That meant she got to meet more of the staff!

The princess enthusiastically nodded. "Lead the way~!" She beamed.

The halls of the Ruby palace were just as elegant as the exterior. There were several portraits of previous, famous concubines, each being as pretty as the next. There were also several servants around, which Jennette made sure to smile at each and every one of this.

"Hello!"

"Good morning!"

"It's a lovely day, isn't it?"

When she finally arrived to the dining room, Jennette had successfully caused a multitude of maids and butlers to blush in delight.

The dining room itself had a simple layout. One side of the wall was completely made up of windows, and the other had a fireplace and mantle. On both the front and back wall, where were large doors that led to each half of the Ruby palace. In the center of the room a long, dark oak table could easily sit at least 15 people comfortably.

Under the red tablecloth, there was an absolute feast prepared. There was an assortment of fresh fruit, pancakes, salads, pastries, and more.

As she sat down, Jennette notices the door slightly ajar. If she focused enough, she could even sense faint mana signatures from behind the door. 'prying servants.' she realized."My goodness! Everything looks so good I don't know where to start." She pretended to gush.

Jennnette's eyes locked on a cupcake with pink frosting, and the princess let her stomach lead her. "So sweet~" She murmured, awed. "The cooks really outdid themselves."

"Did you hear that? She likes it!"

"She complemented us!"

"I've never received praise from the other masters before."

Even if she was slightly exaggerating, the food was indeed excellent. Jennette smiled. She could practically hear the rumors fly. Her life in the palace would be much easier if everyone adored her like they did Athanasia.

Suddenly, the door directly behind her, and the head maid strode in. "Blessing's and glory upon the Obelian empire." She greeted.

Jennette instantly perked up. "Miss Helen!"

The old woman's eyes widened, before she quickly regained her composure. "Princess." She returned. "How was your meal today? Was it to your liking?" She asked, trying to get a feel for the royal's preferences.

Clearly, she hadn't been among the eavesdroppers.

Jennette shyly wiped her mouth with a tablecloth. "Yes...it was truly amazing." A thought suddenly struck her. "If it wouldn't be to much trouble, could you call the chefs that prepared this meal in?" She asked, smiling

The servants from behind the door practically barged into the room, subsequently telling on themselves. Jennette giggled. "Ah, thank you! Thank you all for the food!" She then turned to miss Helen, bowing slightly. "And thank you for your hospitality! You run this palace very well!"

Just as intended, the servants and head maid all flushed with embarrassment. "No no, you mustn't bow, Princess Jennette!" Miss Helen said quickly, helping the brunette rise.

But the damage had already been done.

As Jennette stode through the halls of the Ruby palace, she had newfound confidence. Everywhere she went, whispers followed soon after.

"Doesn't Princess Jennette seem like a good person?"

"She's so lovely"

"She speaks kindly to even us maids."

"She's so easy to approach..."

"True, it'd hard to talk to Princess Athanasia since she's so dignified."

Jeannette smirked.

'It's only a matter of time before I get what I deserve~'