Chapter 20: What a coincidence

"This will be our little secret."

*************

The next day, time seemed to fly by but also drag along.

It was rather odd, but Jennette wouldn't have it any other way. During her 'accidental' meeting with Claude, she would make sure to bring up the fact they they rarely see each other, and force a meeting schedule out of him.

Determined, the princess strode though the imperial grounds. In her hands, Jennette held a box of tea leaves, giving her the perfect excuse. It was just a coincidence that she would run into father alone. She was simply exploring places to enjoy her afternoon tea. The very thought left a smirk across angelic features.

The refined and trimmed palace gardens gradually changed into lush forest as Jennette tracked her father's magical signature. After a few minutes, the princess could head the sound of clanking pottery and giggles, causing her to quicken her pace.

The brunette broke through the trees and came face to face with a clearing that hall a marble structured gazebo in the center. But....that wasn't what made her pause. Sitting there as promised, was the Emperor himself. Except...he wasn't alone.

Sitting across from him Athanasia's face was alight as gazed over at Jennette with a glint in her eye. "Oh my, is that you Jenny?" She called out, causing the two men to notice the fifth party at last.

'What is Athanasia doing here?! Felix said-' Jennette didn't bother to finish her thought. The princess snot the red haired man a nasty look to which he held his hands up in surrender as if to say 'it was out of my control.'

Jennette let out a shuddering breath. There was absolutely no way she was going to back down after getting this far. He brunette stepped further into the clearing. "Father? Athy?" She questioned, tiling her head. "What a surprise! I didn't expect to run into either of you here, what are you two d-...." She let the words die down in the back of her throat as she eyed the tea sets on the white table between them. It was obvious the pair were enjoying tea time together, without her, "oh..."

"Why are you so far from the Ruby Palace." Claude spoke for the first time. His gaze was still stone cold and piercing, but it held no negative emotions. There was no annoyance, malice, or sneer in his words.

Jennette took what she could get and pretended to act shy and nervous. "I was just exploring the palace for a nice place to enjoy my tea. When I visited yesterday it was unoccupied...." She finished softly.

Claude merely hummed. "Felix." He spoke. The red knight was immediately spurred into action, drawing out about her chair in between the Emperor and Athanasia. With a sense of finality, he spoke again. "Sit." He ordered.

Jennette positively beamed at the sour expression Claude brought to Athanasia's face. Thus, she wasted no time sitting down before giggling to herself. It was a risky game she was playing, but the amount of mana she was pumping out in Claude's direction would surely negate and negative possibilities.

One Jennette had settled, the blonde haired man spoke again. "Have you two fared well?"

"Yes, Father."/"Of course, Daddy!"

Jennette's eyes immediately locked with Athanasia's. Internally, she cringed at her sister's petty attempt to flaunt her relationship with the emperor. 'If it's going to be like that, shall I use your arrogance against you?' The princess thought devilishly. She pretended to droop sadly, garnering the pity of nearby servants and the attention of the Emperor.

Claude's piercing jewel blue eyes sent daggers into the side of Jennette's skull, but to keep her act she didn't dare look up. Instead, she fiddled with the hems of her gown, smiling sadly to herself.

Clearly Athanasia was not expecting her plot to fail so outrageously. "Da- Father, I'm thirsty." She said quickly. It was a poor attempt to get the attention back on herself.

At the mention of a drink, Jennette suddenly remembered the tea she herself brought. "Actually, Athy, I specifically made a tea for winter mornings like these. Would you allow me to brew it here?" She asked.

Athanasia's eyes widened. "Huh? You already prepared a tea?" Her eyes flickered from their father to the can of tea leaves in Jennette's grasp.

"Mhm!" Jennette agreed. "It's a long time hobby of mine, so I'm confident it'll suit your taste." She assured. 'Well, infusing tea leaves with sleeping magic is~' One of the main reasons Claude kept Jennette around in 'The Lovely Princess' was for her ability to soothe Claude enough for him to fall asleep. If her observations were correct, then the Claude of this world suffered from insomnia as well. With this tea, there was a possibility Jennette would be summoned every time he couldn't sleep. 'And with time we'll grow even closer.' She thought confidently.

Completely ignoring the murderous glare she got from the only other woman at the table, the brunette princess instead turned to the Emperor himself, an expectant look on her face.

"...there's no reason why not, I suppose." He said finally.

A sense of pure victory curled in Jennette's gut as her tea was brewed, poured, and the aroma began to fill the air. "The scent is quite good, isn't it Athy?" She asked, turning to her sister who was staring at her cup blankly. "It's lavender tea mixed with lemon balm. The two components together help ease headaches and aid insomnia." She informed, pretending not to notice how droopy Claude became after his first sip.

"Haha...is that so?" Athanasia laughed stiffly.

Jennette nodded. "The first few times I visited the emerald palace your head maid informed my you were busy with paperwork. Make sure not to overwhelm yourself, okay?" She said, imaginary flowers appearing around herself.

To all others it seemed that the brown haired princess was just as lovely as Athanasia, and they couldn't help but wonder if it was on,y a matter of time before she rose to the same status her sister held.

Athanasia's stony facade gave away none of her real emotions. "Yes, as sister Jenny pointed out I do have piles of documents to complete." She said, seeing the opportunity. "Thus, I'm afraid that I must be going now." With elegance and grace, the blonde haired princess rose from her seat and rounded the table to Claude before giving him a quick peck on the cheek. "Bye Daddy!" She said, her emotions changing in a split second, giving Jennette whiplash.

Jennette's cold jeweled eyes watched as the other princess flounced away, her maids scurrying after her. Still, she didn't fell victorious.

That was because despite her overwhelming victory, there was still something irking her in the back of Jennette's mind. Athanasia was never supposed to be there with Claude. Jennette knew Felix was trust worthy, so how did Athanasia know she was going to be there?

There was only one answer, Jennette smelled a rat.