Chapter 21: Spy

There was only one answer, Jennette smelled a rat.

*************

A maid's cries ran throughout Jennette's bedchamber. "Please have mercy!"

Just a few hours before, the princess had tasked Draco with tracing back any and all possibly magical signatures in search of who could have possibly ratted her out to Athanasia. Like always, her demon did not disappoint.

Sitting on a scarlet red sofa, Jennette absentmindedly nursed her tea. "You are indeed a good dog, but..." She fought long and hard as a nasty expression tried to work its way onto her face. Instead, she told a deep, long breath before she snapped. "You dare to work for the wrong master?!" She snarled. Jennette threw her cup, the piece shattering just in front of the maid's hands, causing her she shriek in fear.

"I'm so sorry! I should have never betrayed her highness!" She pleaded.

"Yesterday, it was you who overheard my conversation with sir Felix. It was you who tattled to Athanasia, wasn't it?" Jennette said. She rose from her seated position and took a threatening step forward. "I treat every member of the staff as if they are my own, and this is how you repay me? Has no one told you the consequences should you be exposed?" She took another step forward.

The look of pure fear that was drawn into the maids features was one Jennette would never forget, "I...I.." she stuttered, trembling. Jennette had to lean down to hear what the older woman was trying to say. "Please, have mercy." She whimpered.

And like that, the merderous mana disappeared from the room, and Jennette's expression tuned pleasant once more. "Oh my, don't be so scared~" She said silkily, plopping back down in her sofa. "It's not like I'm the devil or anything..." Jewel blue eyes watched as the maid slowly rose from her know king position.

"You don't need to be taught how to spy at Athanasia's side, after all. Very good indeed." Jennette's hands took up a document filled with names. "One thing...." She threw the list of names to the maid, watching as the woman's face lost its color. "Do keep in mind, wether or not your family can continue to live safely....is entirely us to you."

The maid staggered out of the room, her fate sealed.

"Do you think she can be trusted?" Said a materializing form behind Jennette.

Jennette snored. "Of course not, Draco. Still, haven't you heard the saying?" A smirk crept its way onto the princess' face. "The higher one leaps, the further they fall."

"Just think about how spectacular Athanasia's fall from grace will be."