Chapter 11: Pleasant Surprise

Unwillingly, sleep took a hold of her and within a few moments, the princess was asleep.

*************

"Do you really think that you're a princess, Jennette'? You'll never be accepted!"

room.  She stood up, grabbing her ring on her nightstand along the way as a afterthought. As it was halfway down her finger, Jennette realized that she no longer had to wear it anymore.

'That's right! I'm in the Ruby palace.' Jennette realized. She had a sudden burst of energy, her previous drowsiness completed forgotten.

Jennette heard a knock on her door, and quickly wiped the grin off of her face, settling for a small and polite smile- if not a bit shy. "Come in." She said softly.

When the doors opened, she was met with the familiar face of one maid, but the other two came up blank. All of their faces quickly morphed into shock when they saw Jennette standing there, causing her to raise an eyebrow.

"Is there so there something wrong?" She asked innocently.

A plain, brown haired woman was the first to snap back to reality. "A-ah, it's just we didn't expect her highness to be up so early." She said.

Jennette could feel that it was somewhat of a half-truth, and that she was leaving something else out. Her inner hackles raised, but Aria outwardly giggled. "I've made it routine to rise with the sun, It's a good habit to have, after all." She explained.

"Was there something you needed?" Jennette asked politely.

All of the maids then smiled.

The one from the night before, Rose, stepped forward. "Since her highness is awake. Shall we assist you in dressing for the day?" She asked.

Jennette nodded, and let Rose lead her. She then turned to the other two maids. "I would like all the staff working here. Would you two give me your name?" She asked politely.

Both of the maids eyes widened, and their cheeks slowly flushed the same way she saw the maids do when Athanasia spoke kindly to them in the novel. "Mary/Laura" They said in unison.

From behind her, she could hear the other two begin to whisper to each other. "I was surprised that her highness was already awake. I thought the nobles were lazy and slept at least three hours past sunrise." One maid said to the other. The other maid leaned in as well. "I'm more surprised about the fact that Princess Jennette's eyes look exactly like His majesty's. The same shade and everything. No wonder he took her in."

Jennette smiled.

Soon, she was completely undressed, and sinking into a warm, golden tub, with rose petals floating on top of the water. Jennette nearly melted in comfort. After a while, she decided to get out of the bath before her fingered wrinkled. Laura and Rose were quick to wrap the princess in a fine silk robe, while Mary prepared a dress for the day.

Her dress was white and a dusty periwinkle color. There were two bows just under the chest area, and a line of lace and bows on her skirt end. It had very little ruffles, only appearing on the shoulders, sleeves, and skirt. All over the gown, tiny pearl beads were stitched onto it, making Jennette shine when the sun hit her just right.

Finally finished, the four maids stepped back to admire their work. "You look beautiful, Princess!" Laura complemented.

Jennette smiled sweetly, slightly blushing. "thank you, Laura."

Rose stepped forward. "Now that we're done dressing her highness, would you like some breakfast?"