Chapter 23: Crocodile tears

The blonde haired princess threw one last glare for good measure, before she briskly made her way back to the emerald palace, a nasty feeling curling in her gut.

*************

Unfortunately, Jennette didn't hear about Athanasia's grounding until the next day.

"Are you serious?" The princess asked Sarah, who had come as soon as she heard the news. 'This is great!' She thought to herself. With Athanasia out of the way for two weeks, Jennette could seriously start putting on the pressure on Claude!

Jennette immediately set off in search of the least expensive thing in her collection of gifts, a scheme brewing in her head. "I'm going to go visit the Emperor." The princess said out loud, making sure that her maids were aware.

Unable to do anything other then agree, her three trusted maids walked behind her and the brown haired princess made her way through the imperial palace. 'I need to take every opportunity I'm given.' She reminded herself, clutching a small box that held a simple gold hairpin.

As she entered the Garnet palace, Jennette nodded to each servant she passed, showing them that unlike Athanasia, she was still in Claude's good grace. Once she reached his office, the princess make sure to knock softly three times before she spoke. "Father." She called.

Once she heard a cold "Enter", Jennette put on a shy mask before peeling her head into the room. Slowly, she entered the room. "I heard about what happened yesterday...." She said, treading carefully. The princess eyed the man in front of her for any sign of irritation, and was pleased to none that there were none. Thus, she could continue on.

"I never meant to make Athanasia angry, I swear! She can have gifts, I don't need them." With a sense of sadness, Jennette displayed the golden hair pin before clutching it close to her chest. "All I truly need is this hairpin." She said, gazing down at the floor.

Claude blinked in muted surprise.

"I was so happy to receive a present from you, father. I didn't even think about Athanasia in that moment..." Jennette forced tears to well in her eyes. "I....I only need this pin. I won't ask for anything else again." Beneath her gown, Pandora's Tear began to glow and dark mana slowly inched it way around the blonde haired man, entrapping him in Jennette's emotions.

"What are you taking about?" Claude snapped, suddenly very passionate. He glared at Jennette, but not out of malice. No, he was angry on her behalf. "Jennette, you are a princess of Obelia. That's means you are in a position where you will not be scorned for hoping for more." He assured, rising from his seat.

Jennette faltered, a smile wanting to take place on her face. 'No, it's too soon!' She reminded herself. Luckily, her slight waver could be seen as a moment of emotion. "B- but Athanasia is in trouble because of me..."

Surprising both Felix and Jennette's three maids, Claude placed his hand on Jennette's head, patting it slightly. "The presents I gave you are yours alone." He said with a sense of finality, leaving no room for argument.

Jennette smiled softly, quickly giving up of her opposition in favor of moving on. "Thank you father. I apologize for acting so strongly, I'm not very used to receiving gifts." She explained. 'In other words, spoil me more!'

Claude stared at Jennette for a long, silent moment.

"Follow me."