Chapter 3

Aurelia

• • •

The arrangement was evident as soon as I walked into the building. The executive team had chosen to move the meeting until next week, but I couldn't wait another week to discuss over what has been nagging me since our last meeting.

They had chosen to play stupid. They wanted to make a fool out of me. Especially when they thought stealing from me was okay.

Money wasn't the problem. The problem was that they took what wasn't theirs and when asked they lied. I of course don't tolerate liars. Lies always bring problems. Problems I had to face every single day.

"Miss Knight," one of my employees, Vanessa, greeted me as I walked towards my office, "I thought we'd be seeing you until next week."

Going over to my desk, she followed after me, standing before me, "Change of plans." Taking the stack of papers in front of me and the tint I said, "Call them in today."

"But Miss Knight I thought-"

"They work for me, the meeting's taking place today," I was quick to say, there was no in between. And as I heard the door close, I read over the papers.

Todays going to be a long day.

• • •

Seeing the view of the city from up here was a privilege in its own world. Especially at night, when all the city's lights were on and the streets down below were quiet. It was always peaceful at night.

Breathing in the air coming in from one of the open windows, I closed my eyes, however the moment was short lived as soon as a knock was heard on the door.

"Miss Knight," without turning to look at Vanessa, I looked right at her through the windows reflection as she played with the clipboard in hand.

"Tell them I'm ready when they are," with a nod she left the room in a rush.

Although the door was opened soon after as my executive team walked in. "We heard it was urgent, so here we are." They all filed into their respective seats, and they awaited my arrival to the table. I didn't move.

"Please," turning I watched as Jonathan pointed to my chair, "sit."

I forced my face not to morph into a scowl at his command, "Right," moving to stand behind my chair with a strain, they watched in anticipation, however one of them actually stood up as if to pull my chair for me which made me raise a hand, "gentlemen, there's no need for sitting, this will be quick."

They all nodded, and the one who stood up just stayed in place, gulping.

"I finally found the traitors," I more than stated.

Jonathan made a subtle move to look at the one standing before focusing on me, "Traitors? I thought we had come to the conclusion that it had only been one."