Chapter 8

Aurelia

• • •

Santiago hadn't known of the fact that I was there when his brother was hurt, what he also didn't know was that I knew his secret, so when he tried to explain what had been bothering him yesterday in the car, I couldn't help, but feel a ping of wrong. He didn't deserve to be lied to, but that wasn't my choice, it was his. Not Santiago's or Giovanni's. It wasn't mine to out either. To which is why I didn't say anything.

I too had to focus on other things. Last night I had been doing what I hadn't done for two days, Wednesday and Thursday had been busy. So I had sat in my room, the room situated in Maxine's home and worked after focusing solely on finding the answer to my questions. I needed to start going over paperwork as usual, and signing papers while Jayden laid on my bed, on his phone. I had decided on staying there as the better option, I mean I didn't have a car and either way I would need a ride over to Carter's to pick it up, no need for the effort.

But as soon as my phone dinged with a new message, I had regretted my decision. Looking over to the boy laying on my bed, his phone was face up on his chest, eyes closed. Waiting it out, I had made sure his breaths came out even before starting on my way to the window. To my escape.

And now coming back in through the window, Jayden was still on my bed, in the same position.

I had gone out to see after some stuff, luckily the place wasn't too far from here and I was able to get myself there walking. However, when I came across a certain someone, I couldn't help, but think back to the reason why I let myself be convinced to leave my car behind.

Five hours ago...

Crossing the street, hands in pockets, I watched as a couple of guys made it out of an alleyway, smiles on their faces as they nodded my way.

One of them was a usual at the underground fighting club, I'd often see him in the ring, he was a guy who didn't know better than the wrong.

Passing said alleyway, a groan was heard, and at hearing the sound I stopped, a hand on my waistline. It was dark, but that didn't prevent me from going further, "Fuck." I recognized that voice.

A body was sat on the concrete, leaning against the wall, and I could make out how they looked down to where their hands touched. Going to kneel besides them, they quickly looked up, as if barely realizing my presence. "Aurelia?"

Taking one of his arms, I tossed it across my shoulders, beginning to stand up, "Get up." At my demand, he began following after me, and once we were of height I began to try and get him out of this place.

"Where are we going?" He asked breathlessly, as we started going towards an apartment complex. It was pretty new compared to the other buildings and houses surrounding it.