Chapter 13

Aurelia

• • •

It was a gloomy day. From the moment I took my fifth coffee, to the moment I took a moment for myself to regenerate, I noticed the dark covering the sky. The clouds floating overhead, ready to pour. And the early visit I received.

Valdo assured me that going to school would bring Santiago some calmness. But calmness for what? He thought his brother was somewhere in Italy having the time of his life.

If anything, he wanted me gone. It was as if he could sense the emotion I was feeling yesterday, the disastrous sense. And he knew he didn't want it nearby, especially when he was having his own to handle.

"How was having a day off of school yesterday?" The voice didn't seem to register in my mind, so when I turned I didn't know who to look at, instead my eyes wandered. "Aurelia?"

It was Neveah. Of course.

"Hmm. I guess it was alright," shrugging, I tugged at the sleeve of the white blouse.

"You don't seem too convinced," Davina laughed alongside Carter, both seeming to be irritating me for some odd reason today.

It was most likely their insistent talking, from the moment we sat here, they couldn't close their mouths even for a second.

Maybe my lack of sleep also had to do with it.

Neveah just shared looks with Santiago after my reply, as if conversing with just their eyes. Running a hand through my hair, I blocked the view of them, resting my head against the palm of my hand and closing my eyes.

I was extremely tired. The bags under my eyes hinting towards my insomnia. It wasn't like I didn't usually stay up for long periods of time, but last night was just energy absorbent. My body, my mind, and my heart were restless.

Giovanni was out there, who knows where, while I'm here in school acting like everything's okay with the one person who is supposed to know. Santiago should know.

"Are you feeling alright, Lia?" Sliding my hand once more though my hair, I lifted my gaze off the table, taking in Santiago's concern. Concern that shouldn't be directed towards me.

I couldn't speak, my mouth felt dry, I needed water. Nodding, I took a hold of his water bottle from across the table and took a couple of sips out of it.

Lies. Lies. Lies.

"Thanks." Passing him a sly smirk to cover my other emotions, I tossed him his water bottle back while he caught it with a scowl.

"You almost finished it," he joked, holding it up in the air, looking at the liquid slosh around the plastic.

"Be thankful I didn't." I shot back, "I am a very considerate person." Eyes. I could feel eyes on me as Santiago stuck his middle finger up towards me. But I didn't have to turn and acknowledge the person with such a penetrating gaze, I knew who was sitting to my right, one seat over Neveah.