Chapter 10

Aurelia

• • •

After picking up Fernando from school as promised, I dropped him off at his house where only Victor and Jayden were, aunt Maxine and uncle Dylan were out getting groceries they said. So I didn't get to talk to either of them and I couldn't stay and wait until they came back, I had to get somewhere.

So with a single hug to the little boy and a farewell to his brothers, I drove off to my destination. Knight Corporation. My father's greatest achievement, one he'd raised from the ground.

Vanessa was standing outside the elevator waiting for me, a change of clothes in hand. "Miss Knight, good afternoon."

"Good afternoon," nodding, I took the clothes from her hands, moving to the elevator that opened as soon as she pressed the button at my appearance. "How did the searching go?"

A ding informed us we had made it to the top, "It went well, they are good at their job." Walking in the wide room that makes my office, my private one that is the one where only Vanessa and I had access to. I started changing into my dress pants, not caring of the girl who stood there. A cough was heard, "And they are currently waiting for your arrival."

Buttoning the cuffs of my blouse, I slipped my feet into my heels again. "Will you be attending?" Looking at her, she widened her eyes, "I mean with Ms. Reyes in London, you are to take her place by my side."

"Yes, of course Miss Knight," she nodded, her fingers grasping onto her clipboard tighter, "whatever you wish." I had noticed how often she'd do that, board in hand, whenever she was nervous.

"But if you'd like, you may instead stay back and stamp papers for me," I offered, and at my words her face lifted ever so slightly, "it's your decision."

Taking my pen with me, I began heading towards the elevator once more, as her reply came, "If it's okay with you, I'll rather stay."

I nodded with my back facing her, only looking back when the doors reopened.

I understood her reluctance to take part of the meeting, from what she'd told me the difference from my past executive team was that they were all male, but now there was women too, and she hadn't spoken too highly of them just that they knew what they were doing.

With one final pat down to my attire, no wrinkle in sight, I opened the door leading to the room. All were standing, "Miss Knight."

"Ladies. Gentlemen," with a slight incline of my head in greeting I went to my designated seat, at the head of the table.

"Had Ms. Winslow not had time to come and join us this evening?" It was one of the women, she was sitting to my right, another one trying to discreetly hide her laughter next to her.