Chapter 23

"Aang," I whisper yelled

"Kya!" He said happily but got scared at the masked man taking out his dual swords.

"Who are you? What's going on?," He asked the man

I shushed Aang, "I don't know why but for now he's saving us. Let's go with it," I whispered, I didn't trust whoever this was but Zhao was a lot more dangerous.

The masked man sliced off Aang's chains as the young boy looked away in fear.

"Zhao is going to find out we escaped soon," I said

"Let's just leave before that happens," Aang said as we ran after the masked man.

We walked out and Aang spotted the now defrosted frogs ribbiting through the halls.

"My frogs!" Aang said bending down to pick them up, "Come back and stop thawing out!"

The masked man turned his head to me, I sighed and grabbed Aang to keep following the mysterious man.

"Wait!" Aang yelled, "Katara and Sokka need to suck on the frogs!"

"We can just get new ones when we leave," I responded still following the man.

The masked man made us travel through the water pipes out until the outside of the prison. We jumped out of the drainage still following behind him. We saw a rope coming down from a side of the wall. The man pushed me up after Aang got on, urging me to be faster. Then the alarms went off.

"There on the wall!" Yelled a soldier as another cut the rope down. Aang softened the blow to the ground with a gust of air.

The masked man pointed to the gate with his blade as we followed. The gates started to close. I began running faster trying to make it.

Aang ran in front of me, "Stay close to me," He announced as he sent a blast of air pushing away the soldiers blocking our path. The masked man was surrounded by soldiers so I sliced of the tips of their spears. We were back to back surrounded until Aang blew away the soldiers.

He then sent a strong wind sending the masked man onto the wall and picked me up onto it after. Aang tried to fly us across the rest of the gates but our weight was just to heavy for him. We crashed down onto the next gate. A loud groan escaped my lips as I tried to catch my breath.

We quickly got back up to fight the soldiers coming towards us. Once that was dealt with more soldiers tried to attack us using bamboo ladders to climb the wall. We kept pushing them off until Aang cleared the three ladders off and the masked man and I jumped onto his back. It was definitely uncomfortable to say the least but it was working. That is until the third ladder was set on fire. I tried grabbing onto the edge of the wall as the masked man tried to reach up but my grip slipped and we slid back down.

I groaned once more as they shot fire at us. Aang covered us making an air bubble, the fire then dissipated.

"Hold your fire!" Zhao ordered,"The Avatar must be captured alive,"

The masked man immediately held the dual swords to Aang's throat.

"Open the gate," I ordered, but I was still scared about something happening to Aang.

"Open the gate," Zhao repeated glaring at the masked man.

"Admiral, what are you doing?" A solider asked

"Let them out. Now!" Zhao ordered.

The gates opened as we walked backwards, keeping our sights on the large group of soldiers. I stuck up a rude finger to Zhao as he writhed in anger, that man just sets me in the most horrible mood.

We were almost out of the line of sight, then an arrow flew past me and struck the masked man in the forehead. He fell back, another arrow came flying at me but I sliced it in half with water. I was smart enough to freeze some on my wrist before getting on the wall, Aang and I looked back to see an unmistakable scar. My eyes widened as Aang swept up dust and dirt to cover us. I ripped off Zuko's mask as Aang's jaw dropped. We turned to run away but we both stopped.

I hesitated, "We should go," I managed to breathe out.

"We can't leave him here," Aang responded. Deep down I felt the same. I sighed in frustration before grabbing Zuko and pulling him away.

We stopped running after a few miles. Aang made a pile of leaves as I put down Zuko onto the ground. I was sitting in the middle of the two.

"Are we really going to stay here until he wakes up?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

Aang didn't respond. He didn't have to, I knew what he was going to say. I wasn't entirely against the idea. I started to worry about my sick siblings again, they must be seriously worried. I looked at Zuko, even in his sleep he seems, angry.

>>>

"You know what the worst part about being born over a hundred years ago is?" I looked at Aang, "I missed all the friends I used to hang out with. Before the war started, I used to always visit my friend Kuzon. The two of us, we'd get in and out of so much trouble together. He was one of the best friends I've ever had and he was from the Fire Nation just like you," He looked down at Zuko, "If we knew each other back then do you think we could have been friends too?"

I felt so bad for Aang. He has no one of his past. No one to reminisce of his past experiences before us. He was technically all alone. We are all he has now. Poor kid.

Not a second later Zuko shot a stream of fire at Aang. Aang dodged it while I held Zuko down by the wrists. I glanced at Aang and he nodded after some hesitance. Zuko annoyingly growled. Locking eyes with me. He was angry. I knew he was but instead of yelling he slumped down to collect his things.

"He left you,"  Zuko said. I could feel him burning from where I sat.

"He saved your life," I responded.

He glared at me,"I was the one who saved both of you!" There he is back to yelling again.

"All you wanted was for you to be able to take Aang for yourself," I said back coldly getting back on my feet.

"You wouldn't understand!" He yelled louder.

"Of course I wouldn't," I whipped my head back.

"I'll get him again," Zuko said with a raspy tone, facing the other way, "Let's go,"

I had begun running away. I sprinted faster than his fire could reach.

"I'm sure we'll meet again soon," I yelled.

You always do end up finding us.

I could still hear his growling even with the distance I put between us. No time to look back, just keep running Kya.

>>>

"Kya!" Sokka said happily sucking on a frog.

"Missed me?" I said with a weak smile before plopping onto the ground. Man, I was exhausted. I didn't stop running the whole time. I looked to the sky letting out a large breath of air.

"I'm glad you came back," Aang said feeling guilty for leaving me.

"I have my ways," I practically became one with the ground.

Ugh. I thought back on Zuko. I lied to him, of course I could understand partially. I know why he wants Aang. I can try to understand how much he wishes he could go home. He wouldn't be like he is now if he didn't. He wants to prove himself, he thinks capturing Aang will regain his honor. Why did he let me escape too? I placed my hands on my face as I grumbled to myself.

As the skies began to clear up, so did Katara and Sokka's fevers. They woke up just fine.

"This is tasty!" Sokka said enjoying the frog. It ribbited after being fully defrosted. Two spit them out in disgust.

"Well at least it worked," I said with a smile looking back to them from the ground.