Chapter 33

"Be warned: many of you will not return," Chief Arnook said,"Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task,"

I watched as my brother received his mark. Yue cried after they exchanged a glance, I felt for the both of them from a distance. I looked down feeling a certain pain that I could only process as empathy for the two. If only things weren't so hard,,, for all of us.

Then everyone went their separate ways there after to prepare for the attack.

"The stillness before battle is unbearable," Arnook said to Aang I nodded walking closer, "Such a quiet dread."

"I wasn't there when the Fire Nation attacked my people," Aang said,"I'm gonna make a difference this time,"

We went on a bridge standing along side the soldiers of our Sister Tribe. The anticipation of the battle weighed on all of us. Then the first fire ball was visible in our line of sights. People screamed as the fire ball crashed into the wall. Then another came right after. As Aang almost left I shot myself onto Appa.

"Stay with the others," Aang begged.

"I won't," I said. Aang knew I wasn't going to back down. 

I'll do my part in avoiding the destruction of the North. I can't just say I want to be strong and do nothing.

We were getting closer towards the ship. Aang hit a fire ball then glided off.

"Stay safe Appa," I said jumping off using the water to send me onto a ship. I began to wash people off the deck with strong waves. Getting burned here and there. It was a numbed feeling at that point. I ran shooting ice at the catapults and moving on to the next ship once a group of water benders froze the ship into place. Piercing holes into the ship causing some to sink and others to be frozen in the air. Appa and Aang came to pick me up after I took out a few ships. I saw the disaster that waited us. There was probably hundreds of ships left. I healed my burns trying to ignore the tight feeling in my chest and my scar feeling cold. A chill went down my spine.

"You've got to be kidding me," Aang said.

I couldn't say anything as we made it back to the palace. The sun had begun to set and the Fire Navy stopped their attack.

"I can't do it," Aang said as we jumped off Appa,"I can't do it," He repeated out of breath.

"What happened?" Katara asked Yue following her trail

"We must have taken out over a dozen Fire Navy ships but, there's just too many of them," Aang replied holding the sides of his head,"I can't fight them all,"

"The Fire Nation came prepared for the worst," I added.

"But you have too! You're the Avatar," Yue said.

"Sorry to say it princess Yue but, he's just a kid," I said patting his back. I can't believe we all have to fight this much less Aang alone. 

I faced the sky in sadness. Is there really nothing I can do? Anything even something small to null this threat against the world. Against Aang? And my family?

We walked inside the palace with Yue who stood at the balcony looking towards the moon. It was both saddening and encouraging how beautifully it shone on this night. I looked out to the ocean. Its tranquility was being disrupted by warfare.

"The legends say the moon was the first water bender," Yue said, "Our ancestors saw how it pull in the tides and learned how to do it themselves,"

"I've always noticed my water bending is stronger at night," Katara said