Chapter 31

It was quiet, too quiet for my talkative and loud family. While everyone was bored I kept myself busy. I kept thinking about good moments in my life, trying to not let the pain I've endured weigh me down. The past haunted me in the back of my mind but I wanted to keep getting stronger, I wanted to be happy. I hummed along the breeze. The air was getting colder and colder. We were at sea for a very long time. I looked down to the the never ending sea. While I wished we could actually rest I conformed myself with what was. I took some water creating little shapes of ice. Everyone one else on the other hand were getting restless of the long ride.

"I'm not one to complain." Sokka said braking the silence.

I stopped humming and glanced at him.

"But can't Appa, fly any higher?"

"I have an idea! Why don't we all get on your back and you can fly us to the North Pole!" Aang annoyed replied.

"I'd love to!" Sokka replied, "Climb on everyone, Sokka's ready for take off,"

Sokka shook his butt. I walked over and rested my back on his causing him to fall forward. I laughed as Momo jumped on Sokka who was now on the floor of the saddle.

"Look we're all just a little tired and cranky because we've been flying for two days straight," Katara said

"It's Appa who's been flying for two days straight. We shouldn't be complaining," I said.

"Well I'm sorry that we're bored and your not. You like being lonely," Katara said now joining the frustration the other were sharing.

I sighed. I get that they want something eventful to be going on. If I wasn't used to living in my head I would be loosing my mind too.

"And for what?! We can't even find the Northern Water Tribe. There's nothing up here," Sokka continued to complain. I threw a snow ball Sokka's way earning myself a glare and a groan.

"Don't worry Appa they don't mean it," Appa groaned in appreciation, I could tell he was tired from the trip.

We started to shake in the air. There was a loud splash and we almost crashed into a wall of ice. We were screaming trying not to fall off Appa as he hit ice and crashed into the water. Appa was frozen. Boats surrounded us. I got up from where I sat to unfreeze Appa.

"They're water benders! We found the Water Tribe!" Katara said excitingly.

"More like they found us," I said making her roll her eyes at my correction.

They welcomed us into the tribe realizing we were traveling with the Avatar. The wall surrounding the Northern Water Tribe was extraordinary tall.

"There it is," Aang said pointing to the wall. 

"The Northern Water Tribe," Katara breathed out.

"We're finally here," Sokka said.

The fleet in front of the thick wall made of ice came down creating an opening for us to pass.  It was incredible, there wasn't a lack of benders anywhere. It seemed almost unreal. The water benders at the top of the wall flooded the closed off gate, Appa floated up as another wall came down letting us into the tribe.

"I can't believe how many water benders live up here," Katara said.

"We'll find a master to teach us no problem!" Aang said smiling

The tribe seemed completely different from the South. There were buildings made of ice instead of huts and there were pathways of clean smooth ice. Everyone lives together instead of in camps. Riverways spreading throughout the entire tribe. This was like a large city. I wondered if the South ever looked like this once. Would we ever be able to reach this kind of stability again?  The South was the most impacted after the Air Nation in the war. I wanted to believe one day we would fully recover the losses we faced over the 100 years.