Chapter 5

Words that became daggers. Daggers to my heart. As if it was ready to rip me apart.

"Wala kang kwentang pinsan, Ate,"

How can words hurt me deeply? Oh, it's not words that hurt, it was the person who spat those words.

"Lira!" Mom stopped her.

Lira looked at me and smirked. "That's the truth, Mom. She couldn't think properly and just thought about how to save her 'friend'. What a selfish."

Selfish.

I laugh sarcastically. Selfish? Am I? Really?

I raised my two hands. "I give up."

"To what?" Mom looked at me.

"Fighting. Because you only listen to yourselves and you will never believe me." I spat-out.

Then, Mom slapped me.

Am I collecting their slaps?

"Stop! Stop hurting Ate!" Linus screamed.

Galing pa ito sa itaas at tumakbo papunta sa akin. Nang makarating ay niyakap niya ako nang mahigpit.

"I'm here na, Ate..." He whispered to my ears.

"Oh, come one, Linus, stop defending your 'Ate'," Lira said with sarcasm.

"You're mean, Ate Lira! Ate didn't do anything to you!"

"Really? She chose to study here because of her cheater friend! She chose her over us! Her family! A disgrace!"

"Stop," Lolo stated.

Everyone's silent now. Wow, what a powerful word. Is it a word or because he is "Peter Cruz"?

"Tijana, you won't do anything stupid again. Do not disappoint me, you understand?" Lolo said with finality. "Investigate thoroughly, I don't want to blame someone just because of a piece of evidence."

"Peter! What are you talking about? It is enough evidence!" Lola said in disbelief.

"No more objections."

Should I be happy with that? For now, I guess.

I was grounded. Phone confiscated, gadgets were taken, no going out, a perfect cell.

It lasted until classes continued. I didn't even enjoy our break. Belle and I have not been okay since that day. I know, I know she's hurt and betrayed but Arya's misunderstood. Arya's suffering alone. I know she won't ask for help.

Even before, she wouldn't call my name for help. She would rather suffer than ask for help. Is she selfish? No, never. She's selfless. I am the selfish one. Maybe Lira's right, I am selfish. I didn't want my friends to fight because I didn't want to be left behind. I am selfish for wanting them to stay by my side.

It spread like a wildfire. She was bullied. Again. How could I do nothing? For the second time, Lira's right, wala nga akong kwenta. I want to go there and throw the water! But Belle's looking at me intently. Watching my moves.

I walked away and went somewhere far from there. I went to an abandoned park and sat on the swing. Staring from afar while smoking cigarettes is the best. Weeks ago, smoking was my method to relax. Stopping me from doing anything.

Busy from smoking, my phone beeped and I almost dropped my phone when I saw who texted me.

Aryaya:

Don't forget your promise, Liza. Always remember that.

That promise was the one holding me back. I promised her I wouldn't do anything for her. That promise happened when we were not that close back then.

"If you want us to be friends, you have to promise to not do anything for me," Arya said while exhaling her cigarettes.