Chapter Eleven - A Devilish Grin

Eleanor

We had relocated to Dexter's quarters as he said he had a first aid kit that we could use to patch up the makeshift prince in front of us.

His head lulled to the side, a huge gash running from his temple to the small piece of flesh that connected his head to his ear. It looked infected to say the least.

I stood in the corner rummaging through what little was left in the first aid kit, I was well versed in how to use antiseptic and bandages having had a mother who was a skilled nurse.

I tipped the small bottle of clear liquid onto the singular cotton pad that was left in the box, Dexter leaned over and apologised, "Supplies have been scarce since the rebellion began, no shipments at all. Makes me regret using most of it up for minor cuts, "

Kayden was silent, and pensive, his eyes were glazed over but I didn't see him shed a single tear. He gritted his teeth in pain as I pressed the cotton pad to his wound, an inhale of breath being the only sound he made.

Bruises were scattered across his arms not all from today, some more faded from past weeks perhaps.

I slowly cleaned the gash, the cotton pad eventually being soaked in his blood, I threw it in the bin and reached for some gauze to wrap the wound in, "I would give you stitches if I could but I don't have the right materials,"

He still did not make eye contact, all his did was whisper, "I knew you would come back," he had said that before but he decided to reiterate the point.

"Don't think too much about it, "

This made him turn, giving me a lopsided grin that seemed utterly misplaced, "Scared I'll think you actually care?"

"No," 

My response was sharp and much too quick, he let out a breathy laugh, "Wouldn't want anyone to go round thinking you have a heart El,"

He used the nickname with so much familiarity, as though we were not complete strangers but friends.

"El?"

He shrugged and gazed off into the distance, "Yeah, El." That was the only answer he gave, no further explanation just an affirmation of what he had said.

"Your father, why is-"

His look was sharp, a glare almost, "There's no use asking me, I don't know why he is the way he is but what you saw today was nothing,"

"Nothing? He threatened to kill you and me," my voice was incredulous, how could that be so trivial to him.

He frowned, "Not the first time he's done that,"

"He's your father, he shouldn't treat you like that,"

"And you think he cares?" there was a sense of defeat in his voice as though he had given up so long ago.

He tried to sit up properly but hissed in pain, "I wouldn't do that if I were you," 

He slumped back down on the couch and rested his hand behind his head, only tilting it up just enough so that he could make eye contact with me.

Dexter sat on the bed opposite the couch watching Kayden carefully and I opted to stand.

"So what's the plan," Dexter piped up. His question was met with silence, it was clear that none of us really knew what to do next.

"I need to get out of here," I said firmly.

"Good luck with that," Kayden laughed bitterly, "You saw what my father did, you don't think he will kill you the moment you try to escape."

"He won't be able to kill me if I have escaped. That's the whole point of escaping," the sarcasm dripped from my voice it was more condescending than I had intended it to be but I couldn't care enough to correct myself or apologise.

"If he can't find you he will find everything and anything you love and destroy it," Kayden's voice was laced with severity and warning.

"He doesn't know anything about me, he doesn't know what I hold dear, for all he knows I have nothing and no one,"

I leaned back against the wall, suddenly feeling light headed, "He's already posed you as the poster child for his regime,"

"You can take that role for all I care,"

"Well, I think we should stop bickering and think of an actual solid plan," Dexter interrupted us, "As much as I think it would be a great idea to escape, Kayden is right in what his father will do,"

He got up from the bed, shuffling between the random items strewn across the floor, "We need a better plan, we need to get more information of what this pseudo king plans, and once we have those we can take action,"

"What the three of us? Taking down that monster,"

"It's the best we can do at the moment."