Chapter Nine-Caution and Guilt

Eleanor

"What was that?" I whispered my voice cracking slightly because I knew without even asking. It must have been Kayden.

I wouldn't believe it till I saw it with my own eyes maybe seeing it was anyone else would numb the sickening feeling of responsibility in my heart.

Dexter remained silent a grim almost impassive look on his face like he had seen this all before but he was staring right at the two figures. One collapsed on the ground and the other with a raised fist.

All my resolve fell at that moment my heart beating furiously and my legs carried me forward before I could even process what was happening.

"Eleanor," I heard Dexter shout but that faded into white noise as all I could hear where the cries of agony.

"STOP," I screeched my voice laced with pain and despite everything Kayden's Father looked up with a wicked look on his face.

I ignored it knowing all too well that pain was waiting for me that I was so stupid to have come back that despite wanting to be hardened against any emotion, I had let my emotions rule me.

I collapsed besides Kayden's body folded in pain. His face was bloodied and his arms cradled against his stomach. His skin held a yellowish sheen with bruises newly forming.

I tired to lift him from the ground only barely managing to tilt his head upwards. His eyes fluttered open still swimming between consciousness and his smiled a bloody red smile and whispered hoarsley, "I knew you'd come back,"

I don't know what to say my throat dry and incapable of providing comfort.

So my head turned upwards to the looming figure of his father who seemed sickeningly pleased with the events unfolding, "How could you?" my voice roared at this man who didn't even care about the pain he had caused his son.

"He's your son," I cried out still not moving from my pace on the ground. Still holding onto Kayden with blood flowing from wounds inflicted by his father and most damningly wounds I gave him myself.

"And?" was his single worded response. His voice was unfeeling drained of anything close to human emotion.

I looked up in disbelief rage filling me to my core, "Do you not care at all?"

His stood stoicly, silently observing my hysterics. Calculating a next move in that twisted mind.

"Well little girl this is you doing. This is your fault,"

My breath became more ragged at the statements a small part of me willing to be live the absurd lies.

"Now you know the consequences of your disobedience. Next time it will be you."

He crouched down to be level with me his eyes a storm of grey an exact replica of Kayden's but with more malice more zeal for pain.

He leaned closer and I flinched slightly but could not move, "Look at what you've done to Kayden had you listened he would not be like this. His blood is on your hands,"

"No," I managed to force out the word but it was said weakly without the confidence I needed to to hold.

He seemed amused at this weakness and that made my heart sting more. The smell of blood became more pungent and Kayden's breaths became more ragged. I looked at him heaving with pain just as his Father goaded, "Don't forget you hurt him first and then left."

I knew this would happen and I had left willingly. What kind of person did that make me?

The tyrant rose to his full height completely commanding as his voice announced, "No one is to help her. Her punishment is to fix Kayden and if she can't to carry that with her for the rest of her life,"

He said it as though he was sure that Kayden wound sweet more fatal than they appeared to be. That I would have to drag his body somewhere and atempt to fix him. But how could I?

All the guards left they left me alone hunched over a broken body that I was tasked to fix or let the guilt itself break me further.

I tried to lift him but he was too heavy for me to carry. With each attempt to hold him up I would crumple to the ground my knees slamming against it and bringing forth more pain that I could handle.

After several tried I gave up years now trailing down my face as I looked at all the blood and the bruises.

This was all my fault. I was useless I needed to get up I needed to get him up and help him.

With one last heaved breath, I slung one of his arms around my shoulder and tried too push as much of his weight to one side. Slowly pushing upwards so though he was unconscious he was in more of a standing position. I tried to turn thing of where to go but with each dredged step he seemed to be slipping from my grasp. I tried to wake him up but he was fully unconscious.

I wanted to yell at every thing and everyone my shoulder was brining from the weight of carrying him and he was inches from slipping from my grasp.

He was about to fall when some of the weight lessened. I looked up to see Dexter holding onto Kayden's other arm taking the burden off of me.

I looked at his warm brown face and could only managed a pained smile.

"You're so going to get me killed Eleanor," he grumbled as we made our way to his station.

"I'm sorry," I muttered dejectedly.

He just smiled a little the sort of aloof smile that was too out of place in a situation like this.

"Don't worry about it."

Note to reader:

Hi, hello I hope everyone is well and I wonder what you think about this. Feedback is much appreciated.

Have a lovely day

Lavender