Chapter Fourteen - A forgotten time

Xavier

"Is there nothing to drink in this place," the former Queen demanded with all the class of a ruler that was used to being waited on hand a foot.

I jerked my head towards the side of the room where an old sink lay, "You can help yourself," my tone was clipped and abrasive.

She bristled with frustration, she had expected me to pour a glass for her but she needed to learn to do things herself. Gone was her days of being a ruler she was just like the rest of us and it would be better for her if she be began to act like it.

"Where is Fa-" I stopped myself from referring to him as my father, "Where is the former king?"

The Queen scoffed, "He is still the king,"

I gritted my teeth at the statement.

"Or he will be," 

"Then were is he," my patience was growing thin as I sat next to Rose. Every now and then stealing a glance at her to make sure she was ok. It unnerved me to have her so close to the one that had caused her to be in this state.

"That's none of your concern, he is alive and well if you even still care for your father,"

I didn't respond to the statement, I no longer acknowledged him as my father. No father should treat their son the way he did. I resented him for it and I would continue to do so.

"What do you want?"

She gave another saccharine smile, "I want you to take the throne."

"No." that was my immediate response.

"Well, I guess I'll just destroy the rest of the antidote seeing as you won't need it,"

She rose to leave and it took everything in me to not let her walk away, "Wait,"

"Yes," I hated the tone of her voice the self importance, the tilt of her voice to be just a little higher than usual. All of her mannerisms made my feel a burning sense of hatred towards her.

"Why do you want me to take the throne? Don't you want it for yourself?"

"Do you think me a fool?"

It took everything in me not to say yes.

"Only a fool would think they could take back the throne after being exposed like we were. But if you," she reached a hand out to me but my hands stayed firmly at my side, "You take the throne and forgive us. Absolve us of our sins, we can live comfortably with you, and the people will listen to you."

She looked off into the distance as though she was imagining her plan coming to fruition, "Just imagine it, you king, able to do what you want. To fix the world you so desperately want to do for her. Just imagine it. Rose by your side as your Queen, you could give her the world she has always dreamed off. How much more would she love you if you could give that to her?"

I knew deep in my heart that I didn't have to do all of that for Rose to love me. I knew that she already did but my mind did wonder. I did think of how beautiful it could be to rule with Rose, she would be the best Queen, kind and generous, understanding of the peoples needs.

I couldn't help myself, delving into the fantasy of a perfect world.

The person who I had once called mother could tell that her words were close to convincing me, "All that in exchange for immunity for me and your father, that's all I ask."

"Nothing else?"

She nodded firmly, "Nothing else at all."

"Our rule will become a forgotten time."

"You won't try to control me as King as you had always planned to do."

She laughed, "With a King as strong as you I don't think that would be possible."

Flattery would get her no where, but I knew that there had to be a catch.

"That can't be it, there is always something more with you,"

She dipped her head, "You know me too well,"

"What is it?"

"You don't get the antidote until you become king."

The colour drained from my face. It was always like this with her there was always some underhanded card that she would play.

"Think about it dear."

And then she walked away knowing that not too long after I would follow.