12. The Lost Future

The hours that follow are filled with you and Ingo conversing.

Or rather, you monologuing, and Ingo lapping up every word you say.

The two of you catching up on the time you lost.

Losing the notion of time

Lost in your bubble.

Sometimes, you get temporarily distracted by people briefly interrupting, but you eventually go back to your own privacy.

"That just reminded me of Emmet, that day when we bumped into each other on Pasio!"

"Really? What happened on that day?"

And here you are, talking away.

Although Ingo does not seem to actually reminisce anything in particular, he is genuinely keen on hearing stories about his brother, his Pokémon and human friends, including you.

But despite you going into very specific details, you have the sensation that you cannot get through him.

"He told us that he was feeling a little sad about the fact that Pasio didn't have any trains, so when you came up with the idea to use the mine carts to create something like the Battle Subway on Pasio, he was so pleased! And it was brilliant, many trainers came Pokémon battling with you two afterwards!"

"That sounds... astounding."

You do not perceive any enthusiasm in his voice.

You feel him detached. Dispassionate.

"And so, does that mean that you, my brother and I then linked to form a three-car train? You told me that the rules on Pasio stipulated that each team ought to be a combination of three trainers and three Pokémon."

Nevertheless, it comforts you seeing that he clearly wants to remember, so badly.

"Yes, correct! And we took that three-car train straight to victory more than once! We were having so much fun!"

"Oh, I bet we were riding at full speed ahead!...", he pronounces excitedly.

You notice a spark in his eyes, but it immediately fades away.

From time to time, you have the sensation that he is about to remember something.

He blinks continuously for a second, as if emerging from a dream.

"I'm avid to know more about this exciting place. The way you describe it has piqued my curiosity."

"Oh, it's amazing, all right. It was so nice to spend some time with all our friends. I wish we'd visited the rest of the island when we still had the chance... I would love to go back there with you and visit Centra City together again!"

You pause, feeling a sudden twinge of sorrow.

You do not see that twinkle in his eyes.

Of course.

After all, he told you that he had no intention of returning to your own world.

Your heart is sinking.

"Oh, do you remember when you and Emmet dragged me to rail enthusiasts convention? You introduced me to your friend, Cilan.", you abruptly change the topic of conversation.

Ingo observes you attentively before asking softly, "What is a rail enthusiasts convention?"

All of a sudden, Sneasel throws himself onto your laps and sits. He shows you a Plump Bean before nibbling it voraciously, making cheerful sounds.