15. Knowledge of the World

You gradually wake up, feeling the weight of Sneasel on top of your chest. He mews to greet you as soon as he sees your eyelashes fluttering.

After yawning, you bring your arm out from under the sheets to pet his head and whisper, "good morning".

He purrs and presses on your hand insistently, requesting you to knead the back of his neck.

You sit up and notice that Ingo is looking at you from the table opposite the bunk bed. He is drinking some cold tea.

When your eyes meet, you cannot help but smile sheepishly, your face instantly flushing.

"Good morning, Ingo."

"Good morning, (Name). Did you sleep well?", he softly replies.

"Yes. I've never slept in a bed as comfortable as this one before. What's more, Irida's blankets are so soft and warm that I felt like I was wrapped in the wings of an Altaria!"

Ingo keeps gazing at you silently, yet with a gentle expression.

"Altaria is a big, blue bird, whose wings and body are made of very fluffy feathers. It looks like a puffy cloud.", you explain the best you can.

"Really? It must be a very beautiful Pokémon."

"It is...", an awkward silence follows as you keep looking at each other. You eventually break it, "What about you? I didn't hear you coming back. It must have been quite late..."

"A bit, thus I'm glad to hear that I managed to not make any noise. I slept well, overall. I do not need much sleep, anyway."

He finishes off drinking his cup before kindling the fire again. Only remnants of ashes and coals continue to burn inside the stove, emitting a faint red glow.

You climb down the bed, and notice that the temperature has crescively dropped.

"How early is it?"

"The sun is about to rise. Do not worry, we still have some time. My intention was to let you sleep longer, but Sneasel decided otherwise."

The Pokémon gets closer to Ingo and pulls on his clothes, before rubbing his own belly.

"I see you are hungry, Sneasel. Let us go and get you some food. (Name), in the meantime, you may wish to refresh yourself at the hot spring, on top of the village."

"Irida mentioned it to me yesterday, but I haven't seen it yet!"

"I trust you will enjoy it thoroughly. It will soothe your muscle aches, and walking in the cold afterwards will energise you. At this hour, only a few wild Pokémon and the early morning residents will be around. One of them will surely be kind enough to lend you a towel. You may ask Ancestralite."

"Oh? Very well. Thank you for the advice."

You put on your warm coat and your boots, before telling Ingo:

"See you in a bit!"

"Yes, see you later, (Name)."

You timidly smile at each other.

You then turn around and go.

Enveloped by the glacial morning fog, you find it hard to breathe properly. It is still dark, but the horizon is turning into grey, meaning that dawn is well on its way.

Everything is calm, and you assume that most of the Pearl Clan is still sleeping. In the distance, you hear the cry of a Pokémon, but you would be unable to tell which one.

When you reach the hot spring, you rejoice at the sight of a sounder of Swinub and Piloswine, as well as a couple of Buneary. They seem so relaxed that they are not even bothered by your impromptu presence. However, you note that there are no sign of any human beings ; You therefore hesitate to enter the water.