17. The Normal Days

The sun is about to rise.

After packing up and letting Irida know that you would be on your way, you and Ingo set off towards the Crimson Mirelands.

Ingo told you that your route would pass through the Alabaster Forest, located on the easternmost mountainside. He also said that at a steady walking pace, you should reach the entrance of the Alabaster Icelands in a few hours. Upon leaving the glacier, you will need to head east of Mount Coronet.

The road leading to the woods is frozen and slippery, but thanks to Lady Sneasler's assistance, you manage to get to the top of a first hill, slowly but surely. Sneasel is happily trotting by your side to encourage you and Ingo.

About three-quarter of an hour later, you arrive above the glacier, where begins a pine trees forest.

In between the trunks and snow-covered branches, you catch sight of the sunrise.

The golden rays of light momentarily blind you, and you have to raise your hand in front of your eyes to shield them. Ingo also adjusts his visor and watches the colours of the sky blending into orange and pink hues, illuminating the way.

You smile as you feel the warmth on your face.

You then glimpse at Ingo, who seems pleased as well.

"This heralds good weather.", he tells you with a tone as bright as the sky.

Sneasel is very excited and rolls around in the glistening snow, under the indulgent gaze of Sneasler.

After another hour and a half of walking, you start to slow down and struggle to keep up with Ingo, who is clearly used to long journeys on foot, even in difficult conditions. Noticing that you are no longer beside him, he turns around and waits for you, two, three times, always with a caring expression.

"Let us take a break, (Name).", he eventually decides, seeing that you are getting weaker.

You wish you could keep on, but you have to be honest with yourself and with him as well, as you are literally out of breath.

"T-thank you, Ingo..."

You sigh of relief while letting go of your backpack and sitting down on a stump. 

He hands you the flask of tea, which is still hot. After taking a few sips, you give it back to him so that he, too, can quench his thirst.

You search in your bag for berries and nuts to share. Ingo gladly accepts and distributes them among the Pokémon.

Having fully recovered, you can finally concentrate on the surrounding sounds.

Pokémon frolicking in the snow, or flying out of trees.

The wind blowing through the branches, the glacier cracking under your feet.

You realise that you and Ingo have exchanged few words since you have left.

Although you appreciate his silent presence by your side, it also makes you sad.

You convince yourself that talking more than necessary would tire you out even faster anyway, and that it is probably better this way.

As if Ingo had sensed your unquiet mind, he moves closer to you, and gets down on one knee to be at your level.

"How are you, (Name)? Do you feel any pain or discomfort? Lady Sneasler is ready to transport you, and I will carry your bag."

"I'm fine, Ingo, thanks for asking! Don't worry about me, I'm just a little tired, that's all."

"I would like to apologise if my cruising speed is too vigorous. I will make an effort to decelerate if necessary."