26. Fires at Night (III)

"Haaah... Seems like we must now fight for our lives.", sighs Volo.

The Alpha Honchkrow lets out a terrifying squawk that resonates throughout the swamp. A bunch of Murkrow responds to their leader's call with a loud caw.

You can hear the ominous sound of wings flapping in the distance, getting closer by the second.

Volo throws one of his Poké Balls up in the air and orders:

"Dazzling Gleam."

Hit by the shining ability, several Murkrow run away in a cacophony.

"Air Slash."

Hurt, Honchkrow screeches and retaliates with Ultra Beam. Volo's Pokémon lets out a desperate cry after receiving the full force of the blow, and falls to the ground. It is when you realise that it is a Togekiss!

Volo calls her back and sends out a Garchomp, who immediately tackles the giant crow.

Garchomp attempts a Slash attack, but Honchkrow uses Dark Pulse to push him away.

"Iron Head."

The dragon rushes in head first, but Honchkrow blocks him using Shadow Ball.

"Volo!", you call out, shocked by the intensity of the battle.

"We're quite busy here, (Name). Go! We're holding her back! The settlement is down the hill!"

"No! Wait--"

Garchomp and the Alpha Honchkrow furiously snarl at each other, and Volo evades another Shadow Ball by the skin of his teeth.

"I said, go! You and I don't want to disappoint Warden Ingo, do we?", he groans.

In spite of Alakazam's recommandation earlier, you are boiling with anger.

You clench your fists and teeth before letting your frustration explode:

"SHUT UP AND STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO DO!", you shout, infuriated. "I'm tired of being treated like a weakling! I'm not a fragile little thing who keeps falling from any random high place! I don't need protection! There's a will in me! A will to fight! As long as I live! I was a Pokémon Trainer too! A Challenger! I battled against Champion-level Trainers! I almost made it to the top more than once, and I even beat Ingo and his team! So... so don't you or Ingo dare to undermine me and my Pokémon!"

Your speech seems to have galvanised Sneasel.

Amused, Volo glances at you over his shoulder and titters:

"Hehehe. You've got it in you! I promise I won't underestimate you ever again."

You feel bad coming to the sudden realisation that Volo is actually stronger than what he lets on, and that you, too, have misjudged him.

"Volo, I need Garchomp to temporarily immobilise Honchkrow, to allow Sneasel to poison her! Can you do that?"

"Of course. Garchomp, Iron Head."

The Pokémon throws himself at the bird and grabs it by putting all his weight. However, it is obvious that he is struggling to keep Honchkrow still, as she is much bigger than he is.

"Hurry, (Name)!"

"Sneasel, Poison Jab!"

Your Pokémon swiftly jumps in the air and falls down pointing his sharp claws at Honchkrow. The creature lets out such a high-pitched scream at this contact that Garchomp is forced to let go, while Sneasel takes a step back.