25. Fires at Night (II)

Upon Adaman's return, you, Ingo and Akari explain to him your plan to investigate the mysterious spectre around Cloudpool Ridge at night. Grateful, the leader agrees and advises that he will order several guards to search the area for Aibika after nightfall.

Meanwhile, Volo, Ingo and Adaman describe to you in great details Akari's feats in Hisui.

How she quelled the frenzy of the two clans' revered Pokémon, including Lady Liligant who claps charmingly at this memory.

How she passed in flying colours the challenge of the three Legendary Pokémon Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf, eventually gaining their trust.

How, with the help of the two Almighty Sinnoh, Dialga and Palkia, she succeeded in closing the large rift on top of Mount Coronnet and saved Hisui from never-ending gloom and despair.

How she saved the world from an uncertain fate.

Akari remains silent, visibly uncomfortable and unwilling to blow her own trumpets.

She is so young and brave!

Here you are again, surrounded by talended, wondrous people while you are just an ordinary person. Everyone else, including Ingo, is exceptional. This makes you feel alien, unwanted.

But you are also aware that telling this to yourself is perhaps

A way

Of erasing yourself.

"What about you, (Name)?", asks Volo out of the blue. "You also fell from a rift, didn't you? Along with some intricate transportation machine! Furthermore, you have all your memory intact! I must say, I'm intrigued."

"How do you know?", you question. "You seem more than well-informed about my situation."

"Merchants travel and hear rumours from all over the place!"

"I guess it can't be helped.", sighs Adaman. "People talk. Especially about rare Rufflet of your kind!", he looks at you, Ingo and Akari.

"Absolutely! This also reminds me of how you saved that child from being crushed by a rock, at Jubilife Village! My coworkers witnessed the whole thing and counted it to me!", recalls Volo.

"Oh! Teru told me everything about it! He couldn't believe his eyes!", Akari exclaims. Somehow, she seems relieved that you have become the new centre of the conversation.

You have the weird sensation that she actually remembers more than what she lets on, but you do not want to doubt her, even less make her feel bad in front of everyone else. She probably has got her own reasons to keep it a secret.

"I didn't do anything... Rhyhorn did.", you say, petting the Pokémon who is very pleased by your words.

Liligant applauses cheerfully, while Sneasel puffs, unhappy that the other Pokémon is getting more attention than he does.

"Of course you performed an incredible prowess!", confirms Ingo, impassioned. "You were able to assess and take control of the situation as fast as a bullet train, collaborating with someone else's Pokémon. Rhyhorn was most likely very responsive to your confidence and courage. You both wanted to save the child, that is the reason why your hearts were synchronised!"

You sheepishly smile to your friend. Sneasel pulls on your clothes and demands some affection.

"Well, Ingo, I rarely hear you praise someone so enthusiastically! You almost sound like a different man!", grins Adaman.

Ingo falls quiet and adjusts his hat to hide his flustered expression.

"By the way! (Name), aren't you looking forward to returning to your own world? I'm steadfast confident you and Akari can find a way home. All it takes is solving that little puzzle!", Volo addresses you and the young girl.