Thirty-Six

"You can do this," I whispered to myself as I was fixing my hair in front of the bathroom mirror of the mall.

After the confession Oli and I had last time, I immediately decided to approach Tita Madeline to ask for her permission. Oli and I were engaged but that was only for our business. This thing that was going on between us now was different. This time, it was real.

I contacted Tita earlier to make sure she was at home and she was, so I wasted no time. Inayos ko ang suot kong uniform at hinanda ang sarili sa mga sasabihin ko. Pagkatapos ng klase ko ay dumiretso ako ng Rob para bumili ng bulaklak. Minsan ay sabay kami ni Oli pumapasok at umuuwi. I let her drive because she said she loves driving. But today ay hindi kami nagsabay dahil sinundo siya ni Kuya Noah, they were up to brother and sister bonding kaya nakakuha ako ng oras para harapin si Tita. Paulit-ulit ang mga linya ko sa loob ng utak ko habang papunta ako sa bahay nila Oli. I drove my way to her house, with pink tulips in my hand.

"Theo, Ihjo! Come in," Tita Madeline greeted me when I reach their doorstep. I kissed her cheek then gave her the flowers. "Oh, that's so sweet! Thank you!"

Dumiretso kami sa sala nila at umupo sa sofa. My heart was beating so fast. My palms were sweaty and my throat was dry.

"So, to whom do I owe the pleasure?" she asked. "Oli's still not home yet. Hindi ba kayo nagkita sa school?"

"Ah," I cleared my throat when it barely made a sound. "Nagkita po kami, Tita. I came here to... personally talk to you."

Umayos siya ng upo. "Oh yeah? What is it?"

I inhaled deeply, trying to recall all my lines from earlier but they were not appearing! I started to panic because I didn't know what to say. Napabaling ako sa kanan ko at nakita ang isang picture frame na may mukha ni Oli. It was her younger self, more like her age when I first met her. This girl right here is what I am fighting for. She deserves every best thing in this world. I need to do this... no. I want to do this. My nerves started to calm down.

"I love your daughter," I said directly to Tita. She was quite surprised by my words but smile followed it. "It took me a while to fully realize that, but I do love Oli, Tita. And if you permit me, I want to continue doing so in our lifetime. I really want to marry her, not for the sake of our businesses, but for the sake of love. H-However, I want it to do the right way. I want to fully earn her trust and love. I want...to court her, T-Tita, kung papayagan niyo po ako."

She put her hands on her mouth. Her eyes were full of happiness and adoration. Pakiramdam ko ay nabunutan ako ng tinik sa dibdib nang makita ang ngiti niya. She leaned closer to me and held my hands. She inhaled deeply before speaking.

"You have no idea how much this means to me, how happy I am that my Oli is experiencing this kind of respect," she said then stopped. It was like she was reminiscing something. She then let go of my hand then look up, trying to stop her tears.

"Tita..." I called her.

She held up one hand. "No, it's okay. I'm okay," she chuckled. "Can you promise me one thing?"

I nodded.

"Promise me that you will love her with all your heart..." Tumango ako kahit hindi pa siya tapos magsalita. "... but let her go in a proper and honest way if ever one of you fell out of love. I'm not saying you both will. I just... let's just be realistic. I don't want her to experience what her father did to me."

Napatikom ako ng bibig. I didn't know how to answer to that. I was so used to being with her kahit na noong mga panahon na tumitingin pa lang ako sa kaniya kaya hindi ko maimagine na bibitawan ko siya. Then as I think deeply, naisip ko rin na baka nga kaya ko kung 'yon ang gusto niya. Kung dumating man sa punto na hindi niya na ako mahal o hindi na ako ulit ang pipiliin niya, if ever she pushes me away, baka nga kaya ko. Kaya ko pero hindi ko sasabihin na madali lang 'yon. I will obey her because I always do what she wants.