➳ Chapter Six - Face To Face ✑

Nicole's POV:

The next day I decided to go shopping again. I was lucky it was the weekend so work wasn't an issue. I already got a lot of clothes when Mr. Heartford took me to the mall but let's face it, as a woman, I needed more than just clothes.

I had already managed to use up what little makeup I had left in my purse. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hideous but I'm not much of a morning person. I at least try to look somewhat presentable for work.

I called a cab to come pick me up because I didn't want to disturb Mr. Heartford. And I just felt like I needed some time to myself. I still haven't come to terms with the fact of how I felt about living with him.

I would probably have to fast track finding a new apartment before thing took a turn for the worst. He wasn't a bad guy, but I guess that was also the problem. He was just so kind and generous not to mention charming.

The cab finally pulled up, pulling me out my thoughts as well. I suppose that was a good thing. I shouldn't be thinking about my boss in that way.

After getting some essentials, I decided to buy breakfast for Mr. Heartford. I was the least I could do. I saw a small cafe a few buildings down and started walking towards it.

As I walked in the bell at the top of the door rang. I ordered a few bagels and two cups of coffee to go. While I was waiting on the food near the counter, the bell rang indicating someone else came in. Then I came face to face with him.

"I thought it was you, hello Nicole," he greeted in deep voice.

"Taylor," I whispered.

He was my ex-boyfriend, well technically we never broke up, I just left. I was too hard for me to stay in that town so I left everything behind and came to live in New York.

"I've missed you," he said.

"I have to go," I said as soon as the waitress behind the counter handed me my order.

"You don't expect me to let you go a second time, do you?" he asked. "I've spent the past five months looking for you," he added.

"How did you find me then?" I asked.

"It's a long story, maybe we could talk about it over breakfast?" he asked.

"I can't, I'll call you," I said. "You still have the same number right?" I asked.

"Yes I do, please don't go yet," he said gripping my wrist.

"I really should get going, I'll call you, I promise," I said then I walked out of the cafe.

I got a cab quickly after. I didn't know whether to feel relieved or not. When I thought I saw him the other day it brought back so many memories. One things for sure, Taylor was here in New York, I wasn't imagining things.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

Xavier's POV:

I went out for my morning run like I usually do, but when I got back the house was quite. I guessed she was still asleep so I didn't disturb her.

I made myself a cup of coffee and turned on the television. There wasn't much on except the morning news and talk shows. I put it on one of the news channels and I started to go through my phone.

I spent the next couple of hours checking and replying to emails and flipping through the channels before I finally decided to check up on her. I made my way down the hall to her bedroom. I knocked lightly on the door but I didn't hear anything on the other side.