➳ Chapter Seven - Terrified ✑

Nicole's POV:

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were...." I said to the man standing in front of me. He looked vaguely familiar, I just couldn't wrap my finger around it.

"Mr. Heartford isn't here, he got called into the office," I added.

"I know, I'm the one who called," he said calmly.

"I don't understand, if you called then what are you doing here?" I asked sounding a bit more rude than I intended.

"I just wanted to see for myself...." he replied.

"See what exactly?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"The view......" he said. "Forgive me we haven't formally met, I'm Xavier's best friend Jason," he added.

"Maxfield?" I asked chuckling.

"That would be me, and you are?" he asked.

"Nicole Anderson," I replied with a smile.

"Nice to finally meet you then," he said. "Are we going to stand by the door all day or are you going to let me in?" he asked

"I'm not sure if-" I replied. I mean it's not like this is my house and I could just let people in.

"It will just be for a minute," he said with pleading eyes.

"I guess," I said opening the door for him.

He walked over to the kitchen and went out onto the deck. He rested his elbows on the railing and stood admiring the view. The only thought going through my head is that this is extremely weird. A few minutes of silence passed before he spoke up.

"I should probably get going," he said.

"You sure are something you know that," I said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" he asked.

"Who drives half an hour to their friends house when they're not home just to see the view?" I asked. "That's just ridiculous," I added and he laughed.

"I'm a weird guy," he said shrugging. I couldn't help but think that wasn't the reason. "Don't forget to tell Xavier I stopped by," he added before he was out the door.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

I sat outside on the deck, watching as the waves crept up the sand. I was trying to decide whether or not I should call Taylor. I finally picked up the phone and dial the number.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey it's me," I said.

"Nicole, I'm glad you called," he said.

"Well I did say I was going to," I replied.

"Can you join me for dinner tonight?" he asked. "I'll explain everything," he added.

"I guess so," I replied but somehow I knew it wasn't the best idea.

"Great, should I pick you up?" he asked.

"No, that's okay I'll just meet you there," I said quickly. I didn't need him asking me a million questions about my current living situation.

"I'll send you the location," he said.

"Okay bye," I replied.

"See you soon Nicole," he said then the line went dead.

I decide to text Mr. Heartford and ask for Jessie's number since I didn't have it. I wouldn't want him to freak out like this morning.