➳ Chapter Nineteen - Nervous ✑

Nicole's POV:

I managed to sort through Jason's little puzzle in his office. He was not kidding about his handwriting, doctors would be jealous. I tidied up his desk when I was finished just to make up the time. Then I made another trip to the kitchen and made lattes for everyone.

"I brought you guys some chai lattes," I said as I walked into his office.

"Thank you Nicole, but Xavier here only drinks plain black coffee," Jason said.

"Jason be quite, I did say I was open to trying new things," Xavier replied. "See? delicious," he added taking a sip to show Jason.

"There's coffee in here?" he asked and I nodded. "It's really good, thank you," he said.

"No problem I'll be in my office if you two need anything else," I replied with a smile. I don't know what it is about seeing the two of them together but somehow it's always amusing.

A couple hours after, Jason came to thank me for my help and to say he was heading home. I took the liberty of ordering Xavier dinner. It was clear he wasn't planning on going home anytime soon.

"Hey, I brought you something to eat," I said. He jumped a little and looked up at me.

"I thought you went home hours ago," he said.

"I can't leave until the boss leaves right?" I asked jokingly.

"You're free to come and go as you please," he replied. "Where did you order this from?" he asked looking at the box strangely.

"From your friend's restaurant, the one you took me to," I replied.

"What? Issac doesn't do deliveries or take out for that matter," he said.

"Well he does for you, I called and asked earlier and Jessie picked it up," I said. He didn't really say anything after that he just made a sound like he was surprised or something.

"I'll leave you to it then," I said on my way to the door.

"I hate eating alone, can you stay and have dinner with me?" he asked.

"I already ate earlier," I replied.

"Well there's a box in here with your name on it, I'm not even joking," he replied showing me the small box with my name written in black. "I think it's cake," he added.

"Well who am I to refuse cake," I replied. I'm sure I had a ridiculous smile on my face.

We sat there eating quietly. It wasn't uncomfortable or anything we were both just tired. He seemed to have a lot on his mind.

"How's everything going with the stuff for work?" I asked breaking the silence.

"I don't really want to talk about that stuff," he replied with a long sigh.

"Oh, okay," I replied awkwardly.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?" he said suddenly.

"Yeah sure, what's on your mind?" I replied.

"Okay, so there's this charity banquet on Friday and Jason has this family dinner and I was wondering if you wanted to go?" he asked. I could see his leg shaking under the table, he was definitely nervous. I don't know why but I found it quite cute.