➳ Chapter Twelve - Chef's Choice ✑

Nicole's POV:

"Remember to call the head of the finance department and increase Adrian's salary by five hundred dollars a month," Xavier said as we were in the back of his car on our way to a restaurant. "If they give you any problems just tell them to give me a call," he added.

"Okay," I replied.

"What's with that look?" he asked.

"It's just my whole life I guess I've had this idea in my head about the type of person CEO is and I suppose what I'm trying to say is you're not what I expected," I replied.

"Well you're not exactly what I expected either," he said. "All the women I've encountered in my life seem to want me just for my money or my position but not you," he added.

"What makes you think I don't want the same thing?" I asked to humor him.

"Because I'd like to believe I've come to know the type of person you are and I don't think those things interest you," he said staring straight into my eyes.

I felt a smile creeping up on my face. I quickly looked away. It was good to know that he didn't think I was some gold digger. Honestly the last thing I expect to happen when I moved to New York was my apartment burning down and I'd end up living with my boss. But he never ceases to amaze me. The more time I spend with him I see him for the great guy he is and not just my boss and it worries me.

I'm taken out of my thoughts when Xavier brings it to my attention that we're in front of the restaurant. As soon as we step out of the car his phone rings.

"I need to take this, you can go ahead without me I'll only be a minute," he said turning his attention back to his phone.

"Hello, good day welcome to Buona Stella do you have reservations," the hostess asked.

"Ummm Heartford," I said but it came out more as a question.

"Right this way, I'll escort you to the chefs' table," she said looking at me a bit skeptically but showed me to a table at the center of the room.

The place was beyond beautiful. Everything just made me feel so out of place. I didn't belong in this world, yet here I was.

As I looked around I noticed that a lot of the women were mainly drawing their attention to one side of the room. I searched for what they were so captivated by. Then my eyes landed on him.

By what he was wearing I assumed that he was the chef. His hair was neatly slicked back and his beard neatly trimmed. His eyes were the kind you would find yourself getting lost in.

My eyes grew as I noticed that he was headed directly to where I was sitting. Well why wouldn't he? The waitress did say this was the chefs' table. I averted my stare and began to fiddle with my menu. I felt a finger brush my shoulder.

"Forgive me, I was told a friend of mine had just arrived," he said. His voice was deep and it sounded like what I believe to be an Italian accent. 

I found myself at a lost for words. If his flirty smile and musical accent wasn't enough I don't know what was.

"Umm Xavier, Mr. Heartford is outside uh taking a call, I'm his assistant," I managed to say in response.

"Well does this assistant have a name?" he asked.

"I... Nicole, my name is Nicole Anderson," I replied nervously. I was probably making a complete fool of myself but at this point I didn't care.

"I'm Isaac, I hope you enjoy your time here at my restaurant," he said with his flirty smile back on his face.

Then I saw Xavier making his way to our table.

"Xavier don't you know it's rude to keep a beautiful woman waiting?" Issac asked.

The way he said Xavier's name almost made me melt.

"Well I'm sorry darling, I'll make sure to come earlier next time," Xavier said stroking Issac's cheek.

I held back my laugh as because Xavier and Isaac looked like lovers at this point. That didn't stop some of the women though, now their eyes on Xavier.

"You're oh so charming but I was referring to the lovely Nicole over here," Isaac said.

"Here I thought we had something special," Xavier said holding his hand to his chest.

"I'll leave you two to decide what you're having," he added, pointing our attention to the menus.

"Sorry about Isaac, he can be a bit much sometimes," he said with a small smile on his face.

"No, it's fine, I think he's quite nice actually," I replied.

"Most women do," he said under his breath but I still heard. I decided to push his comment aside.

"I wouldn't let him get into your head though," he added.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked.

"He's a huge flirt but he's also very married," he said.

"Oh!" I replied taking a look at the menu.

"Do you know what you're going to order?" I asked trying to change the conversation.

"I usually just get the same thing," he said.

"You don't get tired of having the same thing over and over?" I asked.

"Not really, I mean it's what I like," he said with a shrug.

"But if you never try anything new how will you know whether you like it or not?" I asked.

"We still talking about food?" he asked.

Before I could answer Isaac returned to our table.

"Have you decided what you would like to order or would you like the chef's choice?" Isaac asked.

"I think the chef's choice sound great," I replied. Then he turned to Xavier.

"I'm guessing you'll have your usual?" Isaac asked.

"Actually I think I'll have the same thing she's having," he said.

"Really?" Isaac asked skeptically.

"Yes, sometimes change is good," he replied looking straight into my eyes. A small smile made its way onto my face.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

Would you look at that I'm alive. Sorry for taking so long to update but i hope you enjoy this chapter. Thank you for being so patient and supportive while I had my writers block :)

1029 words

Picture of Isaac at the top