chapter 14~stitchin' your heart up

(content disclaimer: discussion of mental health)

CALISSA'S POV

the ambulance ride to the hospital was interestingly fun despite my ankle's pain growing more and more. they had to temporarily staple my leg together and johnny and bam were surprised at my pain tolerance.  when we get to the hospital i'm taken into a room on a stretcher; now i have to wait probably 2 hours just to get some stitches. bam is sitting beside my bed, talking to the nurse with me while johnny's getting a vending machine snack.

"how bad is your pain right now? would you like any pain killers hun?" the nurse sweetly asks.

i look over to bam and smirk at him, his face displaying annoyance already.

"yes please, just anything stronger than plain aspirin" i tell her.

"i'll be right back with that for you" the nurse says as she leaves the room.

"man, a nurse who's not a bitch who'll bring me some pills" i chuckle, looking at bam.

"mmhmm, be careful about that. speaking of pills, when was the last time you took your medication?" bam asks, raising one of his eyebrows.

fuck, that's why i was so fixated on my pill bottle this morning.

"a while maybe?" i respond, scratching the back of my neck.

"cali, i'm not trying to be a dick but you're starting to get manic. i don't want you getting bad again so you're taking your medication when we get home" he tells me.

"ever since i got here i think i just forgot...can you get me that chocolate ice cream hospitals have, it's my favorite" i smile at him.

"yep" bam responds annoyed.

as bam walks out, johnny immediately walks in with a dr. pepper and ginger ale in hand. he sits beside my bed and hands me the ginger ale.

"thanks p.j" i smile at him.

before he can respond, the nurse walks in with a small pill cup.

"here's your vicodin sweetheart, we'll get you stitched up real soon" the nurse smiles, handing me the cup.

"thank you" i respond, downing the vicodin with ginger ale.

johnny shifts in his seat and leans towards me more when the nurse leaves.

"can i ask you a personal question? don't answer it if you don't want to" johnny asks.

"yeah of course, you're free to know me better as long as i get to know you better" i smile at him, resulting in him blushing lightly.

"what pills were bam talking about? i overheard a little of your guys' conversation and i've seen a prescription bottle in your room" johnny asks me.

god i thought he'd be asking me about anything besides my mental health. i get too scared to tell people my mental history in fear of judgement.

"uhm...i have borderline personality disorder..it's medication to help cope with it" i quietly tell him.

"i'm sorry i didn't mean to pry, i-"

"don't be sorry, i should be a little more open about it with you" i respond, smiling lightly.

johnny scoots his chair closer to the bed, showing that he's listening to me.

"it developed because of childhood trauma and the signs of it started showing when i was 14. it's back and forth phases of mania, depression, and aggression; it's so exhausting to deal with and has me get into loads of deep shit but that medication helps prevent those episodes. if i'm gonna be honest i haven't been taking it recently and i began a spiral into mania. i think i'm okay though, i'm gonna take my meds again starting tonight...please don't think i'm a nut case or anything" i tell him, pausing for a moment every now and then.