Chapter 6

My eyelids still feel heavy when I open my eyes but I feel good on the soft sofa that's so big it could fit three more of me. I grab the edge of the blanket on me and pull it up to my head that is laying on a fluffy pillow. I feel so comfortable yet exhausted that the elevator felt like a dream but the soft lights on the ceiling tell me that it wasn't a dream because I'm not at home or his mansion. This is a new room. I must be his office and that must mean that he didn't take me back down. We're still in the thirty-sixth floor. The lights are on and they light up this room so well that it must be already dark outside. For how long did I pass out? It can't be night yet but I'm scared to sit up and look because even the thought of being here right now makes me dizzy again. Instead of giving the headache that's creeping up inside me a chance, I slowly sit up and again I feel like I got hit by a truck.

My body gets warm in a good way and I feel relieved when I see Valentin sitting in a seat, across from me, watching me. He doesn't take his eyes off me for a second and I'm not complaining about it. It's the opposite and it may be ridiculous but I get a little emotional because I'm not used to someone taking such care of me. No one has ever waited by my side like this when I wasn't doing well and no one has ever kept such an eye out on me. No one's eyes have ever crawled over me, not letting me out of sight for a minute. It feels so nice that I have a warm feeling in my belly which is not to be confused with feeling home. I could be exaggerating but I like the way I have all his attention and how he was waiting for me to wake up. I don't even know for how long I was unconscious but I'm convinced that he didn't leave my side for a second, although he told me that he has things to get done and he is in his office. No one has ever done that for me. Not when I was sick, when I was hurt or when I had other issues. I always had to deal with everything on my own because no one has ever waited by my side or made sure I'm sleeping well. I feel unbelievably calm and comfortable by his side. Even if he only does it because he has to take care of me since he needs me for his plans.

Before I can speak to him I notice the curtains. All walls are covered by thick, black curtains that go from one corner to the other and don't let any light through. I know offices like these and I could swear that his isn't any different than them. He must have floor length, panorama windows along all three walls of this room. The fourth wall is separating this room from the reception and the hallway. It's so comfortable in here like this. It's warm and it smells like him.

I look at him. I'm very vulnerable right now. That's why I feel like hugging him. It's the fact that he thought of closing the curtains and turning the lights on at this time of the day, just so I wouldn't feel awful and dizzy after waking up. Just so I would feel safe like he promised me before I passed out. He must've carried me here. Thinking of how he carried me through the hallway, in this room and on the sofa makes me feel even better.

"How do you feel?" he pours some water out of a nice carafe into a glass and hands it to me. I chug it before I answer him and this could be the best glass of water I've ever had. "I feel better." I notice immediately how raspy my voice it. It sounds like I cried and screamed for hours. I clear my throat and give him the glas back. "Are you sure?" he asks and I have to smile. It feels like I woke up from a nap on a cloud and not like I had such a panic attack that it took me out.

"You seem pretty concerned." I can't hold myself back. He looks straight into my eyes. "I was." his honesty always makes him so much more attractive. More than he already is. "I didn't know that you're scared of heights. I'm sorry." I love it when he apologizes because he doesn't let his pride get in front of other things that are way more important. He's not too prideful to tell me that he is sorry for something he couldn't have known anyway. It's not his fault. Especially since I was so calm on the cliff this morning.