Chapter 8

I spend the evening in the shower. A long, hot shower was the only thing that could make me calm down and stop crying and even though the shower was hot as hell, my body is still cold as ice. His water bill must go up because of me now but I don't care about him losing some of his dollars for that. Actually I wish he would lose everything. That's what he deserves. Unfortunately I can't do much damage to him. I don't have the right mind to make plans to destroy a whole man and his clan. There's no way to overcome him. That's why I won't even try it. I only want to get out of here without getting hurt more or having to keep up with him any longer. There's no need to break my head about this all. I don't need to try to understand it because I won't be here for too long.

I blow-dry my hair and put on some white pajama shorts and a tank top. Remembering the products June got me, I decide to use them in hope to make my face look normal again. My lips, cheeks and eyes are swollen and my nose is red. I don't want him to see me like that and know that I didn't stop crying when he left. He already feels powerful enough and I don't want him to use that against me since he is already humiliating me enough. I slip into the furry slides I made him buy and leave the room.

Some of his slaves brought all the bags into my room while I was in the shower.

I walk up the stairs and realize again how unbelievably cold it is here. I will not be here long enough to get used to the coldness of these floors and the silence of these hallways.

I can feel that he is in his office. There's no need to look for him around the house or outside because as well as I know him, he's a workaholic. It won't be hard to find him. Only now I realize that I don't even know where his room is. Where does this man sleep? Does he have libraries, hobby rooms or anything similar here? There are so many doors that haven't been opened yet and I'd love to find out what's behind them but I won't sneak around. I don't need to know.

When I stand in front of his closed office door, I'm about to knock but then I listen closely and hear noises coming from the inside. Voices. I can hear his voice and the voice of another man. They're speaking too quietly for me to understand a word but that won't keep me from trying to find out what they're talking about. Normally I wouldn't eavesdrop on anybody because that's just not me but what's coming from the inside seems way too interesting. Under these circumstances I have to be the bad one that invades peoples privacies. So I lean my ear against the thick door. As close as I can and I hold my breath because it's too loud.

"...I tried..." I hear one of them say but I can't tell which one of them said that. I'd like to know if I know the other man but I doubt it. I'm sure this has nothing to do with me, I'm just hoping to find out a bit more about what he's doing to understand what I need to do to get out of here.

"I doubt that this was a good idea."

"I know." Valentin. Now I can hear it clearly because he's speaking louder. He sounds annoyed and I'm glad that things aren't going the way they should for him. He deserves to suffer. I exhale and inhale so I can hold my breath again without dying right here.

"I finally got to find him." the other male voice says. None of this makes sense for me but I continue listening because I want to know more and I will not knock on the door or walk in unless they're done and the man is gone. Maybe I should just go back down and wait in my room or eat something since I'm still starving. The table that Ciara and the others have set was wasted because none of us attended the dinner after our argument. That's why my stomach is aching but this is more important right now.

"What?" Valentin suddenly yells and I flinch because I didn't expect him to react this way while I was gone in my thoughts.

Some other noises reach my ears. Something is moving. Probably him who's walking up and down in the room. I can already imagine it.