Chapter 12

We arrive at the Baghdad hotel at the bay and I am stunned by how huge the building in front of us is and how fancy it looks. The sparkling lights, the fountains at the front and the cars that fill the parking spots. I've already been to hotels like these when I was younger and my parents took me on vacation with them. Way before they started their private life without me. It was nice when I was younger. A child.

Surprisingly Valentin opens the door for me so I can get out the car and he even reaches me his hand like a gentleman but I know it's a show. He's acting. He told me to act too. My wellbeing doesn't matter to him as long as I act right so having to act like a gentleman won't matter to him either as long as it works. He has a name, a honor and a face that he needs to protect. He can't destroy his image. The image of a serious, professional mafia boss who always does the right thing. Who doesn't kidnap girls to use them because he has issues with their fathers. I'm curious about how he will introduce me to the people we will meet. Maybe they're just as awful as him and they'll applaud him for getting me. I already feel sick to my stomach. Especially because I know I can't get help. From no one. And as soon as we'll leave this place, he will be mean again. There's nothing else I could expect. I can only enjoy the few hours of him being nice to me.

I hold his arm that he reaches me. We walk towards the entrance that almost looks like the entrance to another dimension with the black glass, the sparkling lights and the guards on either side. The dark marble floor shimmers as brightly as my dress and looks magical.

I watch him greet the men at the entrance before he leads me along a hallway with some doors to our left and right. The high walls and the chandeliers remind me of an old castle which was restored into a modern one. There's a hint of bourbon, wood and cigars in the air. It reminds me of Valentin's office but the air in his office reminds me more of a house in the woods, in winter with the fireplace lit. It's more comfortable but this place is really fancy and it's very oriental. Even the staff is obviously middle eastern and I like it. It makes the place own the name.

A beautiful woman with really long hair and green eyes catches us at a door to our right and I catch her with my eyes. I'm jealous of her natural skin color which I wouldn't get, even if I'd lay in the sun for days or hit the sunbed for months. I'd also never be able to carry that hair and take care of it. Her nose ring makes her even more attractive. I'm stunned and I feel like a girl who has never seen another female before so I rip my eyes off her beautiful figure and turn to Valentin. I need to look at something or someone else.

"Welcome back, Mr. DeMartini. The other guest are already waiting at the usual spot." I hear her say and my eyes widen. She leads us through the door and we enter a restaurant that's probably big enough to take every hotel guest at once. The navy-blue and black concept looks royal to me and I'm glad I chose the baby blue dress. I would've looked like a clown, if I would've chosen another color. The dark atmosphere has something mystical. The quiet music in the background is coming from the orchestra that's standing on a glossy, white stage on the left side of the restaurant. One of the four walls is made of floor length windows which offer an incredible view at the bay. I have to smile.

I look up at Valentin again, while we're still following the beautiful woman. He turns his head and looks down at me with a questioning look.

"Your name is DeMartini? Like the drink?" I almost have to giggle. He rolls his eyes, probably not hearing this for the first time. I find it so funny that I almost have to laugh out loud in this restaurant where everyone is probably royal and speaks as silently as possible. It's almost like they only came to listen to the orchestra. It's possible. Maybe that's why this place is so beautiful and every table is manned.

"Yes, Anastasia. Just like the drink." he seems annoyed by that. He probably must've seen the facial expression I carried when I heard his surname already a thousand times. It's still funny to me and maybe I'll laugh at him later. Not to mention that I really like the name because it's attractive.