scarlett

I hate this school.

Ten days here and I had started to dread waking up to attend classes. Two people made it a bit worth it though.

Marlene and Dorcas. Marlene was fiesty and proud to be honest, she knew how to be honest without sounding condescending. Not to mention, she was hilarious with her quick dirty jokes. Dorcas was cheeky in her own way, her wittiness was unbeatable and unexpected, she was always posh and kind to everyone, well, most people. She was smart and wise, but I had noticed she wasn't one to take her own advice at time, telling us that men aren't shit and then making out with her rather suspicious boyfriend, Michael, who stared at every girl's bum who walked past him.

Despite that, both girls were huge comfort to me. Never once making me feel left out with inside jokes or make me feel like an outcast. I was grateful for them.

Classes were okay, I don't think any normal 15 year old would exactly love sitting in lectures all day, even if it is magic. In Ilvermorny, it was less...tense. I didn't feel exhausted after classes but in Hogwarts, all I wanted to do was sleep.

Maybe I was depressed.

Everything felt heavy here. I had to often fight the tears as I walked the halls when I would remember that my mother and brother once walked these halls, had memories in these halls. Memories that I would never know about or be apart.

Slughorn had the annoying habit of comparing certain things about me to my family. 'Your handwriting is just like your mothers' or 'You have the same gift as your brother for potions!'. Sometimes I would find it endearing, but in all honesty, who wants to constantly be reminded of their dead mother and missing brother?

James would notice how uncomfortable those comments would make me and he would steer the conversation to something else or ask an obvious question about potions.

It was kind of him. We weren't really friends, but we weren't just partners either. It wasn't like him or I would go out of our way to interact out of class, sometimes a 'hello, how are you?' once in a while when we would pass the hall or when Marlene and Dorcas would interact with him and the boys, but it wasn't often.

I sighed, shuffling in my bed, looking at the other girls sound asleep and then at the small alarm clock indicating 5AM, I felt relief that tomorrow would be Saturday.

I lifted the blanket off myself, putting on my white bunny slippers and a black silk robe to cover my rather inappropriate night slip.

I headed downstairs to the common room and out the door, wand in hand as I softly whispered 'lumos'

I didn't mind getting caught, what was the worst that could happen? detention?

I walked quietly down each corridor, looking at each portrait, looking for the bowl of fruit that my brother always spoke about, I always felt like he was messing with me, but nonetheless, I wanted to see it for myself.

About 15 minutes of aimlessly wondering around, I stopped in front of the big portrait of fruits and chuckled, shaking my head in disbelief. Xavier really was telling the truth.

I reached up and gave the pear a small tickle, the portrait opening, leading me into the Kitchen.

However, It wasn't empty.

James Potter, sitting with a slight slouch, fist on cheek as lazily ate a burger, staring at nothing.

"Hi"

He jumped in his seat, turning around, putting his burger down and wiping his mouth, frantically.

"Hi" He said, his voice slightly rasping, making him clear his throat as he stood up. "Wh- what are you doing here?"