james

Scarlett was acting strange. She hadn't spoken a single word to us since we accidentally spilled the bucket of water on her that was meant for Longbottom.

I knew she wasn't mad, but she was distant. In Potions, she only spoke about - well, Potions and even outside of class, that's all she spoke about with me. I felt like the past couple of weeks didn't even happen and that maybe soaking her in water did make her a bit angry. So I apologized and she laughed, saying 'It's not like you did irreversible damage to me'.

It may have been a few days, but it felt like the universe decided to be cruel to me and make time slower, the minutes feeling like hours. It was a bit dramatic of me, but I missed her a lot more than I wanted to admit. It wasn't even in a romantic way. I just wanted to be around her.

I heard a tap at the window, noticing Mucklolly, our white and gray owl, was delivering me a package. I got up quietly to not awake the other boys, tiptoeing across and opening the window slowly.

"Why can't you be a normal owl and stay in the mail room?" I whispered, taking the package from her, quickly petting her head and letting her fly away.

I held the package in my hand, observing my mums neat handwriting on top, hearts surrounding 'Mum and Dad'. I smiled softly, wondering what my parents were up to these days. I also did feel a bit of guilt for not writing to them as often as I should.

I glanced at the clock that was next to Moonys bed, noticing it was 5 AM, the usual time i've been waking up recently. No matter how many hours I slept, my eyes would open at 4, leaving me no choice but to lay with my thoughts.

I decided it was best to open my mail in the common room since the probability of them all hexing me for making noise was likely. I grabbed my wand and my glasses, quietly closing the door behind, the castle was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop. The common room didn't have a single light on, only the small bit of brightness from the sky as the moon was saying it's last goodbye to us to let the sun shine.

"Incendio" I said, moving my wand in front of the fireplace, the fire allowing me to see things more clearly.

I sat on the couch, wrapping the near by blanket around me with the package in my lap. I let out a small yawn as I messily ripped apart the wrapping paper and opening the box to reveal an envelope. Beneath that were multiple containers containing my favorite pastries - chocolate brownies and biscuits. There were also a few stationary supplies that I assumed they thought I was running low on. I also took out a copy of 'The Adventures of Martin Miggs, the mad muggle', my dad and I would read it every morning since I could remember, when I would be home for the summer, we would play Debussy in the background and act as if we were in a high society club as we drank our tea, reading the absurd comic.

I put everything aside, opening the letter carefully, reading each word carefully, laughing at the childhood nickname they addressed me as.

Dear Biscuit,

We haven't called you that in years but we have been missing you around the house a lot and your mum found a picture of you when you were younger with crumbs all over your face!

She's been quite sentimental because we finally found that lost album that she kept going on about - it was at your Grandmother's house.

Speaking about your sentimental mother, why haven't you written more? Not a single letter! Sirius has sent us more letters than you, we would've been worried sick without his updates.

I know your rolling your eyes, but I cannot stress enough how much we need to hear from you more often. Dangerous times are approaching us, Son.

Love,
Your dad.