james

"So are you two together?" Peter lazily mumbled as we laid in our beds and waiting for sleep to come. Most nights were spent like this, having conversation about things we were to scared to talk about when the sun was out.

"Yeah, she apologized and said she'd never do it again- I believe her, I really do" Frank sighed as I imagined what he would be like without Alice. "I mean, we've been together for so long, can I really blame her for wanting to explore her options?"

"Does this mean you can kiss a bird and get away with it?" Peter asked.

"Its not about that, it's about setting boundaries and just being honest"

It quite literally hurt my brain. They had been good friends since first year, when she asked him for gum and happily gave her a piece. He told us that his dad said to carry gum around with him as a conversation starter and it worked. After that, they spent time having casual conversations during class and then at lunch and then he finally asked her out after two years. He used a wrapper of the same brand of bubblegum he gave her the first day, she was over the moon.

Even at our young age, we just knew two people couldn't fit together more than both of them. Even I got jealous of their kind of love.

"You two are good together" Remus said.

"Did you at least let her have it?" Sirius scoffed.

"Ehh, I can't yell at her" Frank muttered. For a moment the room was silent, so silent that I thought we had ended our nightly conversations. "What about you?"

"What about me?" I chuckled, turning my head to look at Franks abrupt question.

"You and Scarlett seem very...close"

"We're not together" I replied, making them all laugh in their beds as if I just said the joke of the century. "We really aren't - I guess, I just- we're only-" I was at a loss for words because I didn't even know what we we were.

Scarlett and I had spent the majority of our time together, sometimes we would sit in silence as we drank hot chocolate watching the sunrise. Sometimes we would talk about the endless possibilities of life and how it begin and when will it end. Or she would read to me, running her hand through my hair as I laid in her lap and her other hand holding the book as I helped her flip each page. Whether it was the common room or my room or even outside in the cold, I always felt warmth with her.

We would kiss sometimes, but nothing more than that. It was sort of unspoken that we both didn't want to do that again, at least not yet. I think the only thing that stopped me from going further was wanting her to be my girlfriend when we did it again. I guess I wanted more sentiment in our relationship than before when the alcohol had an influence on us. I hadn't even asked her out on a proper date simply because every time I tried to, we were somehow interrupted or the timing just wasn't right. It was like a curse was placed on us.

Not only that, I knew the stress of Xavier's journal was weighing on her. She told me that she wasn't going to open it here, that was going to wait until she was at her grandfather's manor during the holiday, It was a bit sad she wasn't calling it her home yet. In all honesty, it was weighing on me too. I had always wondered about Xavier and what possibly happened, but I always stopped myself before getting to the deep end. With Scarlett around, It was hard not to think about those things, especially with what she told me about her abilities, she never did tell me if her brother had any. The lad always seemed normal, he was likable, maybe even lovable and he wasn't walking around wearing gloves or anything out of the usual. He always had the Hufflepuff table laughing, it used to be the loudest table and now it seemed like it was the quietest table. Where is he? Who would even hurt the lad?