Chapter 25 To See and Know

"Are you sure you saw what you saw, Massia?"

    Makyra briefly checked if anyone else was in the halls at that moment. After their encounter, she immediately took Massia to her mother's room so that she could explain everything that had just occurred. She was cold and trembling like a stray dog. Her eyes were wide with fear that had yet been shaken off. Makyra had covered her in a blanket and given her tea to drink, but this did little to mend her. When Celia finally returned to the room, she immediately ordered the guards paces away from eh door to make sure no one else dropped on their conversation. Celia consoled her daughter. She hadn't seen her like this, not since her rescue. Sometimes she spoke of nightmares, dreams, and much of Thanatos, being placed back into that situation, coming so eerily close to death. No child should have to endure such a mental burden, yet it was hers to carry.

     "It's not what I saw," she had calmed down a bit, but her eyes were still red and puffy from the crying. " He didn't look anything like he did before. But those eyes. And his hand. . . they were so cold."

    "How can this be?" Makyra asked Celia. "I thought you had inflicted madness upon him the last time you two fought last year."

     "Indeed," Celia said. "But they could simply transfer the spirit to a new host."

    "So quickly?"

    "It is possible if they had someone in line," Celia guessed. "But even still, the spirit of death is no simple god to transfer so casually, and it requires someone of immense will to resist being consumed by Thanatos' power. So, Makyra, what do you know of this man? He sounds familiar to you?"

     "His name is William Dulmont of the Paladins," she said. "He's the youngest knight ever to receive the ranking of a paladin. His recent expedition to rescue an Asedian Princess allowed King Denever to promote him. So he's fairly popular among newer circles."

     "I assume Talin has planted him in that position," Celia said. "A fresh knight who just happens to of thwarted a plot to kidnap a princess? I would not be surprised if it turned out that they had a hand in that as well?"

      "So, what are we going to do about him?" Massia asked them.

     Celia noticed she was still pale and stiff. she sat a comforting hand upon her shoulder to steady her. "Do not worry, Massia. We can handle this. We won't allow him near you."

      "I don't suppose we can get just out him as a godling, right?" Makyra asked him.

     "That may be a bit too much to ask, I'm afraid," She sighed. "Already, we are treading on thin ice with the Royals. If we out someone like this William in the open, we will cast sore eyes our way if we're not convincing enough."

     "So we lure him away then," Massia suggested. "Someplace excluded, have me,  Queen Liz, and the Grandmaster takes care of him."

    "Remmus could easily take care of Thanatos if given a chance," Celia agreed. "However, It's far too bold. For now, we must keep our distance and keep tabs on this man. I'll ask Remmus and his John if they have any means of doing so. And Massia-"

     Massia snapped back into their reality. For a solid minute, she had been just staring off into nothing. She did not know why; Vermillia had been silent for the past few hours since she encountered Thanatos. "Yes, mother?"

    "I want you to stay away from Thanatos and those of Nychterida," she said. "Who knows how many of them are in the pocket of Talin. Do you understand?"

      "But I can help," she said. "I can . . . I can sense him, sort of. I could tell where he was going."

      "I understand your frustration, my dear," she told him. "But they will want to eliminate as many risks as possible. Even if you're royalty now, you aren't safe. You escaped them, and were meant to become a Makhai. I can not lose you, not to them  So please, promise me, Massia: do not go after Thanatos or any others you may come across. Swear to me."