Chapter 60 Pursuit

Mora looked with satisfaction as two of their dragon riders circled the enclosed village for what was meant to be their final time. She was tired. Tired of looking at the Morenians, tired of the empire, and their dogs putting their noses where it is needed, taking what was there's. They were tired of looking at those jagged rocks constantly. Today she shall get revenge, what was rightfully hers to pursue. Today she shall find rest despite the failure of their last seige and being unable to determine how weathered they were within. But today, there will be no trouble. As she gave the signal, her two comrades ascended into the cold skies upon leathery wings. She, too, directed her prized dragon to follow suit. As they circled the village, over five thousand of their surviving soldiers were ready to fight and kill any who might escape the carnage they were to unleash.

     Each of the three White Dragons unleashed winter's fur upon these curved walls in unison. Curved all that acted like a shall, an impenetrable protector for those enclosed inside. Well, now it shall be their tombs. Coated with snow and ice, subsequently weakened at its very base, whatever faults and cracks that lingered from their previous battle will be made worse off. She had seen this effect herself and now marveled at her brilliance in using their own magics against them. That prince and his earth moving will now prove to be their death this day. The crumbling wall eventually began to give way. And her dragons slamming their massive bodies into the pillars finally broke it. Like a house of straw crumbling under its weight, the walls came down upon the village. An impact rocked the earth that could be felt even in the air by the dragon riders, followed by the loud sound of shattering rocks. But it was beautiful to hear. Mora imagined the anguished and stunned screams as the Empire, and the Morenians died together. Dust and rubble blanketed the ground, mixed with the snow and ice so thick that nothing could be seen but a mound of shifting debris. But once the winds began blowing away the settling debris, Mora and her dragon stood proudly atop it all, the loose rocks and earth giving way to their might. No opposition, no resistance.

     "Search the debris," she shouted. "I want bodies, heads, anything to show our prowess to our volkf!"

     "Surely there will be nothing left in this," said her second in command, swiping his talisman across the mess surrounding them. "We should regroup with our forces in the north; they are still chasing that Empire Paladin through the mountains; three dragons could-"

     "My mother will be fine," Mora growled. In honesty, she wished not to see that woman, not while she had so freshly disgraced the Zethan name with this blunder of an effort south. "We shall collect our talismans and be on our way. Then we shall head back to Morenia to await her return. I shall not suffer any more insubordination."

     He grimaced but nodded, swiftly directing his dragon back into the sky to meet with their forces to start the collection of anything valuable, if anything at all. Mora looked out to the debris. More important than any trophy, she wanted her brother's talisman back, the twin of her own with which they were both made sorcerers. She will no longer allow it to be defiled by the hands of traitors and dogs. She will not allow their legacy to be tarnished by any measure of defeat.

(X)

     Edlund heard the rumble or instead felt it. More than likely, he was the only one to make out the subtle rippling of the earth, s if something heavy had just crashed into it, ringing it like a bell tower. He gripped his god weapon, looking behind him to the horizon. The storm they find themselves in is mild, not enough to call for any rest as of yet. And if the Morenians can still walk, so will the Empire. They are almost halfway there already. If this sound is what he believes it to be, it means that they had underestimated the Zethans in their tenacity. In due time they will be upon them, or at least the dragon riders, as their speed is not to be understated.