Chapter 21 Cold Hearts

Lyse wished he could at least hear what was going on. But unfortunately, unless you were pressed up against the metal door, there wasn't much you could do. He trusted Ryan to get through to her, at the very least not kill her, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he was missing something staring right in his face. And it bugged him to no avail. The captain returned to her quarters and told Lyse that he was welcome to come anytime if she needed anything from her, which was a good thing because he does have a plan to hopefully get to the bottom of the main base of Lord Bok and Talin. He's glad that she is still so willing after all that has happened; then again, refusing a knight's wishes would be difficult, even for someone of her standing. But for this, Ryan was still an enigma as to how he knew about Talin and why he was still alive despite his knowledge. Especially if Talin was so thorough in keeping their identity a secret, in that case, someone like Ryan should not exist at all, especially given the lengths they went to silence his family and the various rulers of Thiria. It just didn't make sense to him.

His pondering was stopped when he heard a few taps on the metal door. Lyse nodded to one of the guards, who took out a set of keys, unlocked the door, and slid over the heavy metal bar to allow the door to be dragged open. Ryan was waiting.

Ryan gestured to Veronica. Lyse could see faint tears and reddened eyes but no bruises or bloody noses.

"She's ready for you, knight," Ryan told him as he entered.

Lyse stopped just beside the woman, still flicking away what faint tears were left in an attempt to appear unbothered and nonchalant. But she was troubled, afraid. He could tell. And why wouldn't she? Her life, along with her little sister's life, was in great peril. BLuntness will only deter his efforts, and he needed to be amiable and trustworthy.

Lyse bowed to her. "Forgive me if your treatment here has been a bit harsh. But I appreciate your cooperation."

"Yeah?" she asked him. "Well, I don't have much of a choice now, do I. So even if you all miraculously die and somehow escape, I'm as good as dead."

"You will not die," Lyse told her. "I promise you that. We can have you on a boat halfway to Hath or even the Empire within the day."

She scoffed at his notion. "Right, like you lot would ever-"

She nearly jumped when Lyse suddenly seized both of her hands at once. Perhaps it was the speed or the intense nature of which Lyse looked at her, but once she noticed his hands were tender and comforting, those fierce eyes turned into a fierce determination. Ryan had never seen Lyse look so severe before, but it was indeed a change of pace even Veronica could see.

"I vow to you, Veronica of Antalya, that you and your sister will be under the protection of the Empire from here on till you reach freedom," he promised. "I swear this on my knighthood; no harm shall come to you."

Ryan nearly laughed as he saw the girlish blush that had crossed her face. She didn't speak, just nodded several times till he let go and stood once more. "Alright, but I- I want to see my sister before I start spilling, alright?"

"Of course," Lyse looked to Ryan. "I can send Ryan and the-"

"No," she said. "I'm going in person."

"Wait, are you serious, Veronica?" Ryan asked.

"Dead serious," she told him. "She isn't going to trust anyone but me. You can escort me with as many brasses as you want, knight; just let me see my sister."

"You can't be considering-" Ryan turned to Lyse, but he could tell from the comprehensive look on his face that the knight's mind was made up already.

"Very well," he said. "I'll call for a whole squad and personal carriage to look after you while we get there."